Why is my 9 month old suddenly REAAALLLY clingy and screams when I leave him for a minute?

I set him in his playyard to go let the dogs out or go grab the laundry really fast and he SCREAAMMSS at the top of his lungs til I come back and get him. I threw the laundry all over the first time thinking he was hurt.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our attachment but maybe I did something wrong??

Or maybe this is normal??

He's teething but he has 6 teeth and never has acted like this before when he was teething..

He's never screamed like this before when I left the room. I mean he's fussed or yelled but I'd hurry and get him he'd stop, now he's so upset he takes a minute to calm down once I've got him.

What is going on?

And how do I respond.. ? I can't help but pick him up but should I hold him all day like he seems to want (he won't even get down and play with me like usual!) so should I keep trying to get him to play on the floor with me or give up and treat him like a newborn.. or what ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal. At that age they start going through separation anxiety. It's not due to anything that you've done, but some kids go through it worse than others. He's realizing that he doesn't like it when you walk away, and he's able to make the connection that you come back when he cries. Try to prepare him for it when you are leaving, like put him in the play yard, then say "Mommy will be right back, I just have to get the laundry" then go, do what you have to and come back and take him out give him a kiss, and let him down to play again. It won't be long before he learns that Mommy always comes back :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Its a phase. I picked my child up and treated him like a new born. It passed in a couple of weeks.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It is normal. Just keep talking to him so he can hear you while you are gone from his sight. That will help

Answer by admckenzie at 10:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• At this age theyre developing object permanence. That means your child actually realizes that your gone and remembers that you existed in the first place. They now realize what they lost. They just have to get used to the idea that you will be back!!!! My son is still in this stage, but his little fits dont last long....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It's a phase, It will pass, (this may sound mean) I let my son scream, unless he was hurt. He stopped within 10min and went to playing. If I went to pick him up when I put him down here we go again so, I found it saved me time to let him scream for a little, he will get better. Its nothing you did!
    jlee38340

Answer by jlee38340 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It sounds like separation anxiety. DD started it around 8 months. When I was home ( I work, so she stays with Daddy) she would get really clingy and panic if I put her down, and when I left for work it was the end of the world. The best advice I got, and it was on here, was to talk to your child about why you can't hold them at that moment, why you have to leave, etc. It really does help, even when they are that young. The other thing I did was get a sling and start wearing her when I could while we were shopping or I did stuff at home. Now she is a year old, and still freaks every now and then, but she can follow me around the house if she really wants to, and she knows I will come back when I leave for work. He'll grow out of it, it will just take time and lots of patience and love on your part. If he gets too bad, don't be afraid to put him in his pen with some toys and let him cry. I promise it won't hurt him any.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Its a phase, a milestone actually in his social development. It will pass.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• A lot of children go through this periodically. As they get older they get more aware of what's around them and it can be a little intimidating. This phase will pass. Don't pick him up everytime he starts screaming, let him comfort himself and work it out himself. If you run to him every single time, the second he starts you might create more of a problem.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009