Post-partum vaginal bleeding

I'm just over 4 weeks post delivery (vaginal) and still have discharge. It's not really blood anymore, it more of a light brownish discharge. (sorry for the grossness)
Has anyone else experienced this?
Also, is there an odor?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is just an end discharge. You should be stopping completely by the next few days, I'm not sure about an odor, I never had this... You might call and check with your doctor.
    jlee38340

Answer by jlee38340 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I had this for about 4-6 weeks I guess. Obviously, the bleeding was like a heavy period for the first couple of weeks and then it slowly lessened over time. At 4 weeks I would say I only had slight amounts of discharge- like I was probably wearing panty liners at that point instead of full pads. It was brownish in color and had an odor similar to a period. I think this is totally normal and should be over in the next couple of weeks at the most.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Postpartum bleeding is annoying! Yes it is gross, yes it will take a while and it will end up brownish until it's totally gone (all the brownish is old blood and tissue, verses new blood or tissue which would be bright red or pink) If I ever noticed an odor it's like an irony smell, otherwise no. And it's very possible that you could be bleeding for another few weeks on and off....it's very annoying. If you have more questions though, especially about the odor, I would call your doctor to make sure you don't have any type of an infection. Congrats on your new baby!!! GL!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Your getting near the end of it. I can't remember if there was an odor or not. I know the full on bleeding stunk like Hell to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2009