Do you think there should be a mandatory retirement age?

I work for the Government doing a very low-stress job. I have co-workers who are nearly 80 years old! There are 3 that I can name off the top of my head that are in their late 70's. I often think that they should retire and let some younger people have a chance at jobs. Seriously, if all people worked this long, how would anyone else get a job? Young people are faced with huge unemployment rates and have to resort to living with their parents until well into their 30's. I often think we need to force people into retirement just to let younger people have a chance! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As long as they can do the job, no.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I agree with the first poster.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 11:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Well I would like to think that they are working because they cant afford not to. Its not like they get paid thousands and thousands of dollars when they are receiving social security checks. If im 65 and I dont think I have enough money to retire on with out depending on the government than Ill work till the day they stick my ass in a retirement home.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• hi op I disagree with you. The older a person gets more often they need the money very badly. Sometimes for an older or elderly person public health insurance is not good enough just like its not good enough for a younger person often. But having to have only public health insurance usually is bad for anyone. We'll see where our government goes with health insurance sigh. My husband and I are in our fifties and we have a highschooler upcoming to college plus another child now in college plus another child who just finished college. Between all of us we have college loans to pay off for them. Without jobs the elderly sit more often and have more illnesses than being active.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• yes, I have always thought there should be a mandatory retirement age. i could get into all kinds of reasons why, experiences, and scenarios. nothing pissed me off more than to hear stories of old geezers collecting two or three retirement pensions and young college grads or ex-military not being able to find work. just because you're old and not working doesn't mean they have to sit somewhere and die. they could volunteer or keep busy doing other things. money problems have nothing to do with age or getting old, all ages have money problems. booyah on mandatory retirement.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It depends on the job. I don't think military should be forced into retirement after 20 years. If they enlisted at 18, they are only going to be 38 years old when they retire. Yes, they have served their country honorably and deserve to retire, but a lot of them don't want to retire when they are physically capable of doing their job better than some of the kids coming in today. The idea of collecting a government pension at a young age is tempting, but the military also needs strong, experienced, senior enlisted. If a 38 year old can still outrun and out PT an 18 year old, then why should they have to retire?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Since I am 62 and closing in on retirement, I don't believe that anyone should be forced into it. Everytime I mention that I could retire, the people I work with say no, you can never retire because I am the only one who knows how certain things work. Aside from that, I don't have the money to retire. Being old and poor is definitely the pits. I don't want to be a burden on my children. As long as I am able, I will support myself.
    Why123

Answer by Why123 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No why make someone retire just because they are older. We as a country do not do enough for our older generations the way it is, now you think we should make them retire. Maybe in your workplace you think they have plenty of money and could afford to retire but there are many, many many more working because they need to work in order to put food on the table and pay for the day to day essentials. If they retire and cannot afford their basic neccesities then they will rely on gov't programs which will put more strain on our economy.
    Anonymous

• while I can understand where you are coming from, and would love to say yes....but no. WHY? Because they have the right to work as long as they want just as everyone else does. But I do think the elderly should be forced to retire when they can not still be productive members of society., and antiquity do their jobs.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• We should value the wisdom of our elders.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009