Backpacks weighing too much

I've got a 5th grader and he seems to have to take the biggest books home from school everyday and with a trombone I worry what this is doing to his back. Anyone have any ideas?

momof4kids257

Asked by momof4kids257 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• We're going to have the same problem with our oldest. She's in 4th grade right now and has had a few days where she had to bring home almost every book in her desk. The experts say their bag shouldn't weigh more then 20% of their weight. Well, she is only 45lbs and her bag weighs almost as much as she does sometimes. She ended up switching with her brother and he carried her bag home (he had no problem doing it even with the other boys snickering at him about his pink bag, lol).
    She'll end up needing a bag with wheels whether the school allows it or not (they don't have lockers, just hooks in their classroom and wheeled bags are against the rules) because it's not healthy for her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• A backpack with wheels.

I bought one for my child because his previous backpack was much too heavy for his little body to carry around.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Is he using everything that he is taking home? If not, then encourage me to only bring home what is necessary. If he has to bring home a lot of books for homework, consider trying to find his books at a used book store or on e-bay, half.com, etc. I have found several grade school books for only a few dollars at our local used book store. They are even the ones that the students are using now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah forgot about that part.. the school won't let them have the wheels as they don't fit in the lockers. Good idea though..thanks.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oops, that should say encourage him.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• How about a fold up luggage wheeler

see - http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Easy-Grip-Flip-Out-Platform-Capacity/dp/B000USIM5M/ref=pd_sbs_a_1
    Anonymous

• Do not, I repeat DO NOT get a back pack on wheels. They get in the way of others and NOBODY likes the kid with a back pack on wheels.
    Anonymous

• We buy used textbooks, from ebay, alibris, etc., soe the biggest books don't have to be shlepped back and forth. We can usually sell them in the fall for around what we paid for them.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My ds's school won't let them use the back pack with wheels. This pisses me off. I think his back pack is WAAAAAY too heavy and too worry about back problems.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i'm totally thinking of getting a wheel back pack anyhow because this is getting ridiculous. My kids back is going to hurt because of homework he has to do and then lug it all back. I actually dragged the wagon to school a few times (we walk about a mile) I didn't wanna embarrass him in front of his friends but his bag is too heavy for me also. then you add the instrument and my strength was gone. thanks for all your answers. You've eased my mind .
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009