Healthiest and Best Formula for babies?

I have 2 month old and I want to have formula for back up on days that I can't pump enough breastmilk when I need to leave. I haven't thought about using formula until today and I don't know the best kinds. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly suggest nestle goodstart. It breaks done with milk proteins more so it is easier on babies tummy , they also use less milk than similac and enifamil.
    My children were breastfed then I had problems and my milk dried up in less than a week. Nestle goodstart was the ONLY one they could handle.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• What do you consider "not enough breastmilk"? I'm only asking because, if you want to have a successful nursing relationship, the LAST thing you want to do is introduce formula. It's a recipe for disaster.

If you don't care if you stop nursing, then all formulas are pretty much the same.
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I used Enfamil Lipil with my son and he did fine. My daughter is allergic to the protein in cow's milk so she is on a special brand now. Honeslty, unless your baby is allergic, just about any of the regular formula is fine.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• nestle good start or parents choice gentle (walmart generic) the parents choice is the cheapest formula; my son was colicky and he was breastfed before i started with formula and those are the only two brands that he could really handle...you just have to do some trial and error to figure out the best one for your infant
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 12:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• LKRA is right. There are ways to make pumping more efficient and it shouldn't be a problem if it's just back up for occasional outings. There is no best formula. They're all the same. The best thing you can do is avoid it. Breast is best =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I really liked Enfamil Lipil. It's not the cheapest, but I only used it to supplement anyway. It's what the hospital gave me and I just kept him +on it

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Actually all formula isnt the same. Just because you are a formula Nazi and are against it doesnt mean you can say that it is all the same.
    some formulas have more of one thing than another does. Some formulas cause allergies. Some formulas cause more spit up and gas.
    Formulas are nto the same.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• all formulas are NOT created equal.

as for which is the best, that all depends on your baby. i found enfamil lipil to be really hard on their tummies. i liked Enfamil Gentlease or Good Start Natural Cultures after my kids were able to come off Nutramigen.
    xErinx

Answer by xErinx at 1:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I understand, I had a great supply but NEVER could pump more than an oz. (even when my child was older) I tried every suggestion that came my way and it just didn't happen- my boobs were not meant for the pump.

If you have a good established supply, offering formula occasionally (NOT daily, but just here and there) should not effect your supply long term. So don't let anyone think you're doing anything wrong.

I used the Kirkland brand sometimes because it mixed better than anything else and my EBF baby took well to it. Also, Organic formula is sweeter so it might taste more like breast milk. GL!
    Anonymous

• I think organic formula or formula you make yourself out of goatsmilk are the best options. Off-brand organic formula is cheaper than most brand-name formula..

I'm curious why you think you can't pump enough breastmilk... Babies need about 1 oz per hour you are gone. Are you working 8-10 hour shifts and can pump 2 oz or so? That's good output actually.. Can you pump and stock up? Can you pump at work? (Most states require jobs to allow for time, and if not the jobs require breaks and you can eat and pump at the same time.. not that hard to do) If you want pumping advice and tips, join Breastfeeding Moms or a pumping mom's group. Your baby might not even take a bottle and you may end up reverse cycling and nursing more when you get home.. If you really get absolutely NO pump output see the above I recommended but like I said there is no guarantee babe will even take it!

If this is for occasional use, don't do it!
    Anonymous