Is chest congestion anything to worry about in my 16 month old?

He is starting to get over a head cold as well as myself and my mother. but in his chest there is a rasping noise when he breathes as well as a wet cough...he has no temp. the caugh is just rough on him and will wake him. is it something to take the doctor for?? Is there anything a doctor could do?? should I just wait it out??
Oh and the reason i am asking on here is for i hate his doctors and we will only get our new one after the new year.. so i am trying to avoid the imbociles that call themselves doctors at his current location

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ahhh, vicks has been around for ages and hasn't been recalled. Just do NOT put it in their nose. Put it on your child's feet instead. Don't know why, but it works wonders! (per my doctor, my son's doctor and his allergist...)

It sounds like the head cold has just progressed into the chest...that is what mine do when I get colds, too. If you are worried, you may need to go to the Doctor to rule out RSV, which does sound like a raspy/wet wheezing in the lungs. Does the raspiness clear after coughing? If not, you should think about taking them in becuase RSV can develop into something worse. My son had it wtice last year and had to be on breathing treatments.

Good luck! I hope your little one feels better soon!

The humidifier is a good suggestion, as well. Also, since your child is over age one, you can warm up about a tablespoon of honey with some lemon juice in it...that can soothe the cough as well!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• That has happened to my 9 mos. old a lot. She will get a cold, runny nose and once that is going away she stil has a raspy cough. The doc. has recommended putting a humidifer in the room. Do not use vicks! Our doc. has told us that vicks is not good for babies and often restricts the air passage. He says a recall is imminent.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes. I bring in when the breathing has an odd sound. Better safe than sorry even if you hate the dr.
    Anonymous

• If he's wheezing when he breathes, the doctor can treat it (my son uses an inhaler when he gets colds/allergies and wheezes). Not all raspy/wet wheezing is RSV nor is RSV necessarily treated. My son had RSV but I found this out only after the fact because I happen to take him for his next well visit shortly after what I thought was jsut a bad cold. His doctor could still hear a bit of congestion in his lungs. I'd try the humdified and see if that helps. If he isn't running a fever, it's most likely going to run it's course without help..
    Anonymous

• Probably not. Get some elderberry syrup and steam him often

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My DD had that at 6months, turns out she had croup and RSV and was hospitilized for 4 days because of it.... so if i was you, i would get it looked at.

My theroy is I would rather take them in and get sent home because they are fine then to not take them in and have something be really wrong.

Follow your motherly instinct. thats what its there for. :)
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 5:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009