Homemade infant formula?

Does anybody still make there own formula (not including breastmilk)? And if you do what is your recipe? Im just curious... My child uses formula that I buy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/homemadebabyinfantformula.htm this link isn't a recipie, just some info...
    Anonymous

• Home made formula can NOT be trusted to be safe or nutritious enough. Commercial formula should be the minimum standard people accept to feed their babies.
    Anonymous

• For my first three I did make my formula. It was carnation milk formula. Only because the formula they had at the time my husbands family was allergic to it. We almost lost his nephew because of the allergy. When Good starts came out I used that as it's the closest to BF as you can get.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• balderdash. homemade formula can be used. just don't tell any Nazi friends of yours or the freaks on CM who will badger you to death over it. PM me if you want a recipe.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• that is a BAD idea.
    xErinx

Answer by xErinx at 1:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Um really? in some cases no it's not. here's a scenario for you. Infant on similac or enfamil. Every time they feed they throw up ( not spit up but projectile vomiting) and severe diarrhea. Infant becoming dehydrated. As soon as you put them on the carnation formula, which BTW our Moms and grandmas used. All this stops and the infant starts to gain weight. And yes this has happened even with the so called soy formula or easy to digest. All I can say is thank God for older Drs. who know this and have given the recipe to Mothers whose infants need it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• there are many many alternatives to store bought formula at skyrocket prices. for some reason unknown to us, some mothers are put in positions they need an alternative, and quickly. put judgement aside, and know there are more than two ways to feed a baby. from whey to goatsmilk, there are many many alternatives.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would find a few recipes and take them to your child's doctor to see what he recommends. You can even get a few opinions but I wouldn't blindly trust something on the internet because you can post anything on the internet and say that anybody is endorsing it.
    Anonymous

• I should add that since Carnation has come out with a superior Formula this was the case. I've known of a number of young Moms that have problems with the two formula's they send home with you. Fussy gassy irritable babies. The Drs. will have you switch between these two formulas. My Great nephew was one these infants. All I said to my niece was try Great Starts by Carnation. She stopped at the store grumbling she says try this. She did his problems stopped. She couldn't believe the difference. The vomiting stopped he started to gain the weight he needed to. My own babies couldn't handle the formulas available at the time. ( I nursed and bottle fed couldn't pump )

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2009