Did you have parents who fought alot when you were growing up?

Did any of you'll have parents who fought alot when you were growing up & it led to physical & mental abuse??? My parents fought all the time when I was growing up both was verbally abusive towards the other. My Dad hit my Mom & she had a black eye & bruises on her chest. By the way my parents are still together & don't fight as often but its still bad.
I was terrified to get Married & when my Daughter was born that even scared me worse because of my past with how my parents treated each other. I guess all the negativity reflected into my Life when it came to Marriage & Children, I didn't want to end up like them. Did you have any fears/concerns/problems due to this behavior??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• Sorry to hear this. I was a lucky one who NEVER saw her parents fight. They always did it behind closed doors and we never knew it happened. They were a joined front with us kids and if they disagreed with each other, they never showed it to us.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Mine did and I will never put my children through that, ever! They ended up divorcing, Thank God!
    Anonymous

• Nope. Dont' get me wrong, they had their fights and sometimes there were holes in the wall lol. But never once during those arguments did my parents say things that couldn't be taken back. They didn't put eachother down, didn't call eachother names, it was just 2 people venting, sometimes loudly, and then it would be over. Also my mom was never once afraid of my dad, my dad would NEVER strike a woman, infact he's beating the shit out of several guys that he's caught abusing their wives or girlfriends
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I was just wondering when I asked the ?... Because, sometimes I look back on my Childhood & It makes me sad when I think about. I would NEVER EVER put my Daughter through what they did to me. I pretty much lived with my Grandmother for the most part because of the fighting, shes been gone for 5 years now. But, my husband would never treat me that way & I know that. I guess It's just stuck in the back of my head of how my childhood was & how I don't ever want to end up like them.
    Anonymous

• No. Never saw my parents fight... and they divorced when I was in high school.

We were married only about one month and we got into an argument. I decided I was mad and wasnt going to speak to hubby, I walked into the bedroom and closed the door, hubby came in and I walked out, dang him Im gonna win with silence.

THEN IT HIT ME - I AM NOT MY MOTHER.

I had the biggest realization that my mother did that and she is divorced! I walked to where hubby was, appologized for the silent treatment, told him I loved him and that we had to work out the issue. I have done that ever since. We have been married 16 yrs and are still going very strong. We disagree - but we talk it out.

DONT BE YOUR PARENTS..... BE YOU.
    Anonymous

• yep, mine fought and my mom went nuts on my dad. I never want to be like them.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, my parents fighting all the time is why I think I couldn't keep a marriage going. I've been divorced three times. They didn't teach me what a real loving family should be like so I had no good role models. This is why I think parents should not stay together for the kids if they don't love and respect one another. It just can screw the kids (and their future) up too bad.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Me & My parents are compete opposites and I'm very Thankful for that! I moved almost 2 hours away, just to get away from all of it when I was 18. Both of my parents have depression issues, but still that gave them no right to do what they done when Iw as growing up. I prayed for them to divorce when I was growing up it got so bad.....
    Anonymous

• admckenzie - I agree! I had trouble staying in relationships as a teenager because I was so scared to commit to one person, then I met my Husband. But, it made me feel insecure about relationships & friendships.
    Anonymous

• I never, ever saw my parents fight, physically or verbally. I saw them disagree amiably about things but they always discussed things behind closed doors. I try to do the same with my dh.

Answer by missanc at 2:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009