Homemade hamburger helper?

Or chicken helper? I am trying to make meals ahead of time so DH doesn't have to do all the cooking all the time since my weird work hours.
Ideas? Preferably so I can freeze for a couple days before reheating.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My MIL taught me an easy homemade hamburger helper that re-heats well.
    1.)Brown 1lb ground beef with some onions (if you like them, otherwise they can be left out) and a little worsteshire sauce
    2.)In another pan brown 2 boxes of rice-a-roni (I actually use the generic kind, just beef flavored rice) with butter
    3.)Strain meat, add browned rice and add amount of water it calls for on the box. Boil/simmer according to directions.
    4.)This actually can feed my family of 4 and have quite a bit of leftovers. Sometimes I add different seasonings like A1 sauce, green pepper, etc. It's easy and you can make it your own however you like. Hope this helps!
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• THANKS!!! Sounds great
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oh I forgot to say that when you combine browned meat with rice and water make sure to add the seasoning packets that came with the rice. Sorry - just realized that! :)
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I also have a good recipe for Tator Tot Casserole that is very kid friendly/simple. It reheats great and actually I made it last night. My family loves it. I cook very simple meals but I thought it may be something your husband could easily heat. Have fun!

Ingredients: Butter, 2 eggs, 2 cups milk, 1 bag shredded cheese, 1 cup ham cubed or shredded, 1 bag tator tots, salt & pepper

1.)Thaw tator tots in microwave (or you can just set them on the counter for a while if you have extra time)
    2.)Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9x13 pan
    3.)Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together (salt and pepper to taste, however much you'd like to add)
    4.)Add in half the bag of shredded cheese, ham and thawed tator tots, blend all together
    5.)Pour into pan and top with remainder of shredded cheese
    6.)Bake for 40-45 minutes
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• That's great! Keep them coming!!!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• daniellecooks.wordpress.com

I have a ton of one pot and skillet meals like that.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Cooked/drained hamburger + cooked pasta + sauce (white sauce, cream of whatever soup, tomato soup, homemade cheese sauce, etc) + veggies if you want = what I make.

Mix cooked meat with veggies & cream of whatever soup, make stuffing, spread meat mix in pan & stuffing on top, bake til heated through.

Hamburger + green beans + cream of whatever soup. Add cooked rice if desired, bake biscuits of your choice (I make with generic bisquik but grands work, or plain bread). Pour meat mixture over biscuits. Or place meat mixture in pan, put raw biscuits on top, and bake til biscuits are done. Can be done with chicken & mixed veggies too. Kind of like a pot pie.

Shepherd's pie - any meat + veggies + white sauce or cream of whatever soup, put in pan, top with mashed potatoes, bake til hot through.
    Anonymous

• chickenintheroad.com a blog about budget living and homemade boxed meals/premade mixes all really good stuff I use her site at least once a week but she has a whole blog post devoted to home made hamburger helper really good and something I am using to plan meal for the month after I have the baby I am currently pregnant with because she shows you how to make dry spice mixtures unlike some of the helper recipes I have found online requiring all fresh/ perishable ingredents.
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 7:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2011