peeing during labor? (for those who weren't catheterized)

i honestly cannot remember peeing at all while i was in labor but i know i must have been peeing every once in a while because i know that's important, right? i think just all the other excitement made me forget and i was probably taking potty breaks every once in a while.

do you all remember peeing during labor. like did you feel like you had to pee, or did a nurse or someone tell you to go pee every once in a while.

i can't believe i can't remember this as i was peeing about every hour by the end of my pregnancy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yup I did lol. Especially during my first labor. I had the epidural and I was taking in a TON of ice chips plus the IV fluids. I wasn't cathed so eventually my bladder just released itself. It was funny. I told hub that I was Peeing and he actually told me to stop it lol. I laughed so hard at that, that I peed more. Ah the joys of L&D
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I got to the hospital around 1:30am. by about 3:30am I was starting to have the urge to push, so my nurse had be go to the bathroom then get back in bed where she checked me, and sure enough, I was 9 3/4 cm with just a little bit if cervix left!! my son was born at 3:52am!

that is the only time I peed during labor except for my early labor at about 12:30am at home, which was when my water broke on the toilet after going pee! lol
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I had an epidural both times and had a catheter but everyone I know that didnt had to constantly pee through their labor. The bladder is kinda between the baby and your cervix (off to the side) and it needs to be empty for the baby to be able to properly desend
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Everyone says that if you get an epidural you MUST get a cath. WRONG. I had an epi and YES, I did get up to pee! I needed a little help getting to the bathroom, but I managed. I ALSO insisted that I need to poo lol, when really it was pressure from the baby coming down that I was feeling. The nurses laughed at me. This was with my first.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The worst was with my second. I was all hooked up and then...I had to pee. I asked if I could get up to go and they told me no. I was flabbergasted! I was like..well..what am I supposed to do? And then they used the word "bedpan" :( How embarrassing. It took me a while to get up the nerve to pee while laying in a bed with this plastic bin under my tush and my best friend and mother standing there waiting -.-; *sigh*
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No epi. No cath. I peed right before I was put into bed and had the fetal monitor strapped on. That was at 3:00, my son was born at 7:01. I never peed until way later on or the next. Don't remember which. Had an I.V., but, no ice chips. I ate a sandwich and drank coke while they were warming him and doing what they had to do. So, no....I really didn't pee during the labor and delivery. Of course, it onnly lasted 7 hrs. total. And I didn't even pee much while pregnant. Apparently I am the exception to the rule. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Sandra... no you dont HAVE to have a cath if you have the epi but it is most often given becuase it allows your bladder to empy itself when you cant feel that you need to. I had a cath but could still feel that I had to pee.

Did you have an epi or an intrathecal (sp?)? How could you manage to get to the bathroom, even with help, with an epi?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I dunno. It was for sure an epidural. Ever heard of a "walking epidural"? I suppose maybe that is what it was. It was on a navy base o.o
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I was peeing all the time. Nobody had to tell me, I kept having to get the nurses to come in and unhook some of the monitors from me so I could pee.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I never had a cath, even with full-blown epidurals. Never used a pedpan either. I got up to pee whenever I needed up until the epi, and when the anesthesiologist came in he said to go pee first cuz I'd be stuck from then on. But I know for dang sure I never had a cath in any of my labors. I do remember peeing while I was pushing with a couple of them, but that's what the giant absorbent pads under you are for, as well as the sheets, bag under the bed, etc. And they washed me off with warm wet washcloths when I did it too.
    Anonymous