Sugar Cookie Cutouts

The other night I made sugar cookie cutouts and when I took them out of the oven they had expanded into unrecognizable blobs that were hollow on the inside. Is there a trick to this? How does one make cut out cookies that retain their shape once baked?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 1:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You need to keep the dough really cold. After you make it, put it in the refrigerator for four hours. Keep dough you are not working with refrigerated.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• ya i tried it for halloween but everytime i rolled it out it would start sweating and then once i got them cut i couldnt get them of the board to put them on the pan..but te ones i peeld off got put in the oven and all the edges were brown..it ticked me off..
    Anonymous

• A lot of time it depends on the recipe. I've got several sugar cookie recipes and a few of them are really puffy and don't hold their shape and others work great! What's your recipe?

Here's the one I use for regular sugar cookies: Granny's Sugar Cookies

Here's one I use for chocolate sugar cookies:  Rolled Chocolate Sugar Cookies

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• All of the above and make sure to take the off of the cookie sheet asap
    patrickswifey

Answer by patrickswifey at 3:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The trick is to tell everyone the kids made them! lol
    Best rolled sugar cookie dough....all recipes.com.
    I agree with rkoloms....very cold dough.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• First off let me ask, are you using real butter or margarine? Margarine spreads and that could be why your cookies turned out as blobs. Its the oil in it.. But if you are using real butter, than like the others said, real cold dough. Also instead of using flour to the cookies out in, try powederd sugar, extra flour makes them kinda tough. Try www.allrecipes.com and look for sugar cookies, read the reviews and see if you can find what your looking for
    MyAngels0103

Answer by MyAngels0103 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2009