daughter turning 16

My daughter is turning 16 in March. I don't have much time, but I am not doing a huge sweet 16 party (i think its a waste of money). Any other ideas. Someone told me how about in a hotel. Haas anyone done this before, how did it work out and was it expensive? or any other suggestions please. thank you for any ideas you can give.

mybabyjr

Asked by mybabyjr at 1:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would think you would be having a large party if you had it at a hotel. Perhaps you can have her invite a few of her closest friends and all the girls could go get their nails done together and then hang out at your house and watch a movie. Technically you could have someone come to your house and do all the girls' makeup too if you wanted. It is just a thought. I don't really know what you have in mind.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 2:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You could take your dtr and a few of her close friends to a hotel for the night in the nearest big city, go out to eat, hang in the pool, and order an in-room movie. Sounds like a good time to me!
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 2:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When I turned 16, my parents took me and a bunch of girlfriends to the Old Spaghetti Factory, and then they all spent the night. It's wasn't a huge deal, but it was loads of fun.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• We had a Rocky Horror/ Repo the Genetic Opera themed party at home- we made bags with all the necessary items to throw while watching Rocky and had a BUNCH of glow sticks and gave everyone a cheap boa to wear - we covered the walls of the garage with black trash bags and put a black light and stuff hanging from the cieling (neon swirlies we had cut out) and they hung out in there between movies and listened to music and played with the glow sticks. She had invited 20 people and only 6 showed up...but they had a TON of fun and then the girls that came spent the night and they watched Donnie Darko. The whole thing cost me about 120 bucks. I wanted her to have a fun memory since I couldn't afford to buy her much of anything.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When I turned 16 I just had a sleep over. My Mom ordered pizzas and rented us some videos. She made a cake. We stayed up all night. In the morning she made us all french toast. We had fun.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you ask your daughter what she would like to do, and go from there?

If her expectations are unrealistic (maybe she watches that sweet 16 reality show... ugh!) then you can discuss them and compromise, but her birthday should be based on what she wants...

All I wanted for my 16th birthday was to go out for dinner with my two best friends and have them spend the night. I probably would have been disappointed if my mom had thrown a party or something without asking me first... and what I did was cheaper and easier on them!
    lalimalina

Answer by lalimalina at 2:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2009