Do (or did) you allow your child...

to play with toy guns? I have mixed feelings about this. I don't want my son saying, "I killed you mommy"... But yet he's still too young to understand the difference between fake and real. So we don't have any guns in our home. My So's grandmother got my son a gun (one that shoots the sticky things out) for Christmas. I'm of course going to let him have it, however, he won't be allowed to point it at any person, or any of our pets. Does this seem extreme to you? I will set up targets, and he can shoot anything, that isn't alive... My SO thinks I am going a little over the top with this, but I don't want my son "shooting" anyone. Not until he knows the difference between play and real... And even then I don't want him saying, "I'll kill you".... So I was wondering how you handled this...

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 2:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• She has a popper gun but is taught that it is not ok to point it at anyone and if she ever says I killed you, it would be taken away. Even if it's a toy, that kind of talk is not appropriate. Once she gets older, she will be taught how to clean and shoot a real gun since we are a hunting family.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Guns of any sort are not allowed in our household. When my daughter goes to her cousin's house she plays with their guns and we talk about not pointing them at people or animals but she is not allowed to own one. I do not think you are being extreme at all, children are unable to tell the difference between real and fake for a long time and even then I do not think it is ok to glorify violence of any sort.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 2:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't let my son play with toy guns, but that doesn't stop him from making them out of Legos, or his fingers even....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I agree with you 100%. My son is 2 and hasn't had a play gun yet. Thank goodness! I don't even see how it's an appropriate toy! I will not get him one. But, if someone else gives him 1 as a gift there will be rules set up (like yours). =)
    Anonymous

• We don't allow gun play in our home. Even imagination toy guns (like fingers or legos). We are a military family. ...DS1 just turned 5. In a year or two he will have a much better understanding of the kind of power people have (or think they have) when they have a gun. And maybe a couple years after that DH will be teaching him how to use a gun and gun safety. etc.

I believe there is a time and a place for everything. And i just don't think that the place for the "gun concept" is in the toddler time period.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I do not allow any toy weapons in my house. I have three boys and they play rough enough, so I do not want to hand them a toy gun and let them have at it. My husband owns guns (in a locked safe, WAY out of view) we agreed a long time ago, that we were going to teach our boys that it is a right to own a gun and that not everyone can own one. There is a responsibility in owning a gun of any kind and when we feel that they are responsible enough ( with a hunting license and gun safety classes passed) only then will they be allowed to mess around with them. Toy guns are an oxymoron in our house. Guns simply should not be made into a toy. It is very hard to make family members respect this rule though, so be prepared, and let family members know in advance of birthdays and Christmas that those toys are not allowed in your house. I am not saying NEVER, I am simply just saying NOT now.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My son didn't have toy guns until I realized he was making them from Legos and such. So, I bought him a toy one and explained that it is only to shoot at targets or squirrels, LOL. Never at people. And Never to say I kill you. Because i decided it was best to have it and teach rules with it than have him never see or know and come across a real one and do something terrible with it. I will say, my dad has some real guns at his house...and i will say, that all my teaching with the play ones paid off. My son two at the time....he asked to play with something and my dad told him to get it out of the closet. My son went there and came back to me without it. I asked why he didn't get it, he said, I can't. I asked why not? He said there is a gun in there and I can't touch real guns. He was praised alot that day. My dad informed me that it was only a pellet gun, but, either way, he was glad my son knew the deal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My parents would let us play with toy guns we had bb guns too. The rule was you can only point it at hands, feet, knees, and after my sister asked if she could shoot somebody in the butt they decided yeah you can shoot somebody in the butt as well. no shooting somebody in the head, neck, stomach or back. No shooting at animals. We were given soda cans to shoot at. My friends mom said you kill you eat it.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 2:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Also, it was his first time to ever see a real gun in person.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• that would be a big NO on the toy guns and weapons, and we are not an anti-weapon family either
    Anonymous