My 18 yr old got a sweepstakes confirmation letter saying she won $45,000 and it also included a check for $5,000 up front to take care of the legal side of these winnings. First she has to call "SAFECO" and activate the check

Could this be real? How do I find out if it's a hoax or real? Last year she filled out so many different things to request scholarships from different places she doesn't remember if she signed up to win anything or not.She is in her first year of college and really could use this money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would google safeco and see what people have wrote about it. Also she can take the check to the bank and see what they have to say.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Sounds a little odd. I had insurance through Safeco at one time, not sure if its the same company. Not sure who you would contact to find out about this...
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 2:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• SCAM!

http://www.safeco.com/about-us/site-map/fraud-alert
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I bet it's a fake.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• OP here~
    It goes on to say that her winning numbers were drawn from a product entry slip and part of the check is also for Tax purposes and gave an adress and name to the tax person involved. It just seems so real but I want to be sure it isn't a scam
    Anonymous

• check the link I provided, it is a scam
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Scam darling. That happened to someone in my town. An old lady in her 80's. You should know better.
    Anonymous

• Pretty sure it's a scam. people wouldn't fall for them if they didn't seem that they could be for real!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• OP here~
    I am sure it is a scam but I just need to be sure.....What if it were real she would be throwing money out the window.
    Anonymous

• It's an absolute scam. If ever in doubt, look up on www.ripoffreport.com . There are actually several entries on this exact same scam.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009