Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can we file together if we are already divorced?

Or do we have to wait until we file to divorce. Also I was not planing on filing since I get paid cash and I probably don't even make enough to have to file but should I file for the child credit?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • you mean taxes? You can file if you were married during the year. Even if you are divorced now. Your settlement agreement and final decree for divorce should have covered issues of taxes. If you were legally separated for the year, you may not file together.

    Answer by ecodani at 2:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • OP- yes taxes, and we are not divorced yet but we should be soon after the beginning of the year. At least we will file then. We are separated now, but not legally.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • I left my 1st husband and even though we were seperated we filed jointly all the way up until the year after the divorce was final.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • If your divorce is not finished I would totally make sure the issue of taxes is covered in your divorce settlement. If not and he does not cooperate with you, he can take your return, he can claim you.... oh you don't want to risk it. Get it in writing.

    Answer by ecodani at 5:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • I would double check the final divorce agreement when you receive it, as well as consulting a tax professional. It may be more advantageous to you personally to file separately. Regarding your income, it should be reported if it is more than $500 per calendar year. You will most likely receive it all back with the child tax credit and any other exemptions anyway. Better safe than sorry when it comes to taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.