Why do mothers do this?

I have noticed that most mothers when their babies are in strollers and they are walking them, when waiting at a cross walk their babies in the strollers are facing the road and the exhaust from the vehicles is blowing right in the babies faces and the mothers do not even seem to notice. So why can't the mothers at least do as I used to do? I used to just automatically turn the stroller around facing the other way so the exhaust would not blow directly in the babies faces. I can really feel for the poor babies of those mothers.

lbranta

Asked by lbranta at 3:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe they just dont notice stuff like that like you do. It is not that they are trying to harm their babies, but simply overlooking their surroundings.
    vdr1983

Answer by vdr1983 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Because they are not as wonderful as you. You are perfect.
    Anonymous

• WOW Really? You sit there and wonder these things???? You must have a lot of free time on your hands. SHEESH!
    Anonymous

• I would have never noticed that...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I have never noticed that either, I guess it makes sense, but it seems hard to push a stroller backwards, when you need to cross the street quickly to avoid getting hit by crazy drivers!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I was referring to when they are stopped at a light waiting for the crosswalk to have to turned around at that time. You are stopped waiting at that time. And No, I am a far cry from perfect no one is perfect. It's an observation I have made long ago and still see that makes no sense to me since its not such a hard thing to avoid somewhat. And as for a lot of free time on my hands, lol, no not really but when your your going down the road a lot of people like me do happen to look at things around me.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 4:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I realize as a Mom we all seem to be more "sensitive' to certain things taht some others might not notice. That's why sometimes it's ok to actually take some advice or pointers from other Mom's it doesn't mean you are any less perfect!!! I just wish I had other Mom friends to take advice from...lol.
    Anonymous

• Well, around here, even if you are stopped at a light waiting for it to change you have to be ready to run to get across the street in time. Drivers don't care if you are crossing. And at non-light intersections you have to cross half way across the street and wait in the middle for traffic to clear in the other direction otherwise you would never get across the street. It's a city thing.

I usually turned the stroller to the side because I don't like having it so close to the curb. I've seen drivers hop the curb while turning or they could go out of control. I also make the kids wait one square back on the sidewalk so they don't get hit.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• living in a college town and riding the bus all of the time i wondered the same exact thing- and i'm the @$$ hole who will say something to you about it. i rarely ever took the stroller, i used a sling/wrap/pack, but i know exactly what you mean.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Never noticed. If I see a lady pushing a stroller I peek at the baby not the direction the stroller is facing.

As far as turning the stroller away from the road...maybe its not possible with the direction they are heading. Maybe they dont think about that cuz there are more important things on their minds besides the direction its facing.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2009