Is it so wrong to enjoy the commercialism of the holidays?

It seems like every year, people complain more and more about how commercialized Christmas is. I get it, it isn't the original reason for the holiday, whatever. But I love decorating and lights and presents and giving gifts. I love the SALES! I love getting gifts, too, lol. Now I love playing Santa and we have new types of decorations and new things to celebrate and new things to do- like all of those Christmas Candy Lane type things. What is so wrong with enjoying the season for this stuff? Do you enjoy it too, or do you wish it were only about religious beliefs? Just curious...

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Holidays

• I love the decorations, the special events, the fun things to go do with my kids. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the season to its fullest.

I love sharing the different traditions my friends have and sharing mine, be it in our beliefs or just the fun things we do with our family.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes I do. I love Christmas shopping and giving. I also love the parties and the merriment. Unless you're ultra religious I see nothing wrong with splashing out a little money, it's good for the economy. And...if you're ultra religious you shouldn't celebrate Christmas at all because all the traditions, including the date, are based on paganism.
    Readerlady

Answer by Readerlady at 3:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No, it's not wrong! The stuff is fun, and plays an important part. I enjoy the giving aspect, and choose to focus on that. I think it's important to USE the commercialism as a teaching tool. If you are religious, then it's a bit harder. Sometimes. I think the ads and the ridiculous presents little kids get is over the top. However, if kept in perspective, it can be enjoyed.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Nope I love the shopping and giving gifts (not so much the getting, I could care less about that.) I love doing the decorations with the family, and all the events. I AM religious, and we do celebrate the religious aspect more than anything else, but the rest of it is fun too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I agree. While it's far from the best part of the holiday to me, it's still fun and enjoyable! Most the time I don't even believe people that say they don't enjoy getting/giving gifts. I definitely get more enjoyment out of giving gifts than receiving, though. I get soooo excited to watch people open what I've bought them! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• you'll hear complaints about commercialism for the rest of your life. and every year will proclaim to be "the worst". i don't mind it. it can only be what you make of it anyway, so if I see it as beautiful and fun it IS beautiful and fun. if a scrooge sees it as a waste than it will be a waste. enjoy it if you enjoy it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• People are just miserable fun suckers. I love it. I don't take life too seriously. I LOVE buying gifts and wrapping them and seeing peoples faces as they open them. I LOVE Christmas lights. I LOVE holiday music and decorations in stores! I LOVE Christmas! I'm not ashamed!
    Anonymous