refuses to participate in PE.

I got a call form the PE teacher this morning at work because my Kindergarten son refuses to participate in PE today. He apparently has done this before. I missed the call so I got a message saying that he was shutting down and not playing and she wanted to talk to me about it. (I have not heard back from the message I left later) I just don't know what she wants me to do about it. I mean I can't make him play if she can't. he wasn't hurting anything just sitting there not playing. How do you deal with that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you said your son was "shutting down" does he have aspergers or another form of autism? How I answer would really depend on if he is or isnt only becuase you have to handle it differently.

If he isnt then I would ask him why, then see if there is a reason. It is very possible there is a reason he wont participate, maybe someone picked on him or he was losing at a game. Kinders tend to get their feelers hurt very easily during games and will refuse to play. I would find out the reason and ask what you can do or what he feels would make the situation better. Your mom so of course you can do better than the teacher and try to fix what is wrong, your child is more likely to talk to you and then you can speak with the teacher about how to make things go more smoothly.

If he has other issues such as autism then you need to talk to him as well find out what is troubling him then speak with his team about ways to work with him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Also when you sit down with your son to talk with him, let him know that PE isn't like recess. While recess is a fun play time where you can pretty much play how you want and with who you want or even by yourself, PE is a Teacher Led, albeit fun, time, just like math or reading class. Explain to him he has to pay attention and participate and do the "work" in PE just like he does in regular class. While playing alone may be something he chooses to do at recess, you may want to ask him why he want to continue to do so during PE. Ask him if he realizes he can be in trouble for it and if there is a reason for it and ways to resolve it.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You need to set up a meeting with your child and the teacher. Let the child explain why he is acting this way.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• he is being evaluated for a PPD/ ASD and ADHD on Dec.19. I told the teachers that to in my email.
    Anonymous