Have you ever heard of the Turning Point?

SYDNEY – A coroner said Tuesday that participation in an intense self-help course led a woman to suffer a psychotic breakdown before she stripped naked and leaped to her death from an office window in front of horrified co-workers.

The coroner's findings come four years after 34-year-old Rebekah Lawrence's death, providing a sense of relief to family members who had long argued the young woman never would have killed herself if not for her participation in a seminar called The Turning Point.

"The evidence is overwhelming that the act of stepping out of a window to her death was the tragic culmination of a developing psychosis that had its origins in a self-development course known as 'The Turning Point,'" Deputy State Coroner Malcolm MacPherson said as he read his findings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091208/ap_on_re_as/as_the_turning_point

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow.
    Worth looking into ...

Thanks !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Your Welcome, Spread the Word
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• an intense self-help course led a woman to suffer a psychotic breakdown before she stripped naked and leaped to her death from an office window in front of horrified co-workers.

obviously the course wasn't intense enough!

Anonymous

• Never heard of it. Sounds horrible. Although I guess it shouldn't surprise me, since some of those 'self help' courses are led by self proclaimed gurus that seem really out there. I remember a couple like that, I think it was LifeSpring that one of my relatives went to and they would accompany you to the bathroom to make sure you didn't leave the building. Crazy.  I don't know if Lifespring and Turning Point are the same type of thing, but I am not entirely surprised.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• That is pretty darn sick. There is no way I would go to a self-help class ....they are all nuts. They are usually taking drugs and smoking weed and the leaders suggest all sorts of bizarre things. Just crazy!!!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she had mental problems otherwise.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

She did, that's why she SOUGHT HELP, too bad it was with them....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• From the article:  (Deputy State Coroner) MacPherson did not recommend any charges be filed against Turning Point officials. But he did suggest that laws be drafted to require that those offering self-development seminars be qualified and accredited.

So, it's OK to "help" a person to the point they lose their mind and go completely round the bend, and end up killing themselves;  but, maybe we should think about maybe making sure these people doing the helping know wtf they are doing.  But for this poor lady, well, what's done is done.  Let's just move on now.  This is what I find unbelievable!

29again

Answer by 29again at 2:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2009