Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Induction or Cesarean?

my due date WAS december 26th.. then it was the 16th, then it was the 13th, now they are saying it's the 12th.. NOW they want to schedule an induction or a cesarean.. i'm thinking this isn't making any sense. They haven't done any test recently to see how far along i ACTUALLY am. But they aren't leaving me with any choice on what I want to do with MY BODY and MY BABY. I'm also thinking that the fact that he's due around christmas is interfering with their Christmas plans, so they want to speed things along so they don't have to worry about it.

But seeing as how this is MY CHOICE, i think i should have some voice or opinion on the matter, don't you?
so i guess my question is: what can i do to make sure myself and my baby are going to stay safe and as comfortable as possible? there are risks in both, and i'd prefer holding off on both and see things through the natural way. i had no problem with my 1st, why doubt me now?

Answer Question
 
nuklear

Asked by nuklear at 3:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (47 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • you are right, it is your choice!!! i would refuse induction or c-section. just say no! i'm sorry you have such horrible providers. i would just say no i am doing what i believe is best for my health and my baby's health. then when you do go into labor, stay at home as long as possible. :)
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • I have no advice for you, I went with midwives who wait until you are at least a week or two overdue before they talk about induction. And they have a midwife at the hospital all the time so that person's holiday is spent working regardless of when I would have gone into labor. But I just want to say I agree and I hope your baby gets to come when he/she is ready and not when the doctor is ready.

    Christina807

    Answer by Christina807 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • You hold off as long as you want to mama! Like you said, it's your body and your baby, so don't let them tell YOU what to do...You tell them the way it's going to be.
    It's kinda scary that they keep upping the due date....that doesn't make sense! I don't think they know what's going on, OR like you said, they don't want it to interfere with thier plans!
    sandypops

    Answer by sandypops at 3:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • You do have a choice and they are making you think you don't.. If you and baby are fine I would not worry. Sounds like they are rushing things for their benefit. On your next apt just inform the Dr you will not be doing the induction or schedule a c section. Is is your body and baby and your right to refuse. The due date is just a estimate anyways...
    I will caution you about stripping your membranes, I personally know of a Dr that wanted to induce, the pt refused, on her next apt he stripped her membranes without her consent or knowledge until it was too late..
    midnightmoma

    Answer by midnightmoma at 3:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • I would tell the doctor to stick and not do either a C section or induction. Its your body. They cannot not give you a choice! It is absolutely your decision, and if you feel that you aren't safe with them you need to be looking for other doctors, you need to at least be talking to other. But that's just me, no way I would go early if I didn't have to.
    Tes...Jacksmami

    Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 3:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • Don't let them tell you want to do. Always remember they work for you, not the other way around. If you don't want to be induced or have a c-section then don't. They can't do anything if you don't show up for it. And they also can't turn you away if you come to the hospital in labor. =) Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

    Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • that;s the thing though, isn't it.... they keep talking to me about "we don't want to have to, BUT ..." and making jokes about how long it's taking me to deliver, they were talking about delivery 4 weeks ago... "you ready to have this baby yet?... we can see about that" and one doc i think TRIED to induce me... she stuck her finger IN my cervix to "check to see if i had dialated yet" ... nearly put me in labor and i was *this close* to having her by the throat. i was cramping and bleeding that day.... 4 weeks early. i was FUMING pissed.

    but the fact of the matter is: they make it sound like i don't have a choice, and that if i decided to do things MY way, i'd be making a horrible decision and risking the baby and myself.... and i'm sorry, but i don't see how that's possible when my due date is still a week away, and my first was 5 days late, but i still did fine in delivery?
    nuklear

    Answer by nuklear at 3:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • It sounds like they are trying to scare you. If they haven't said anything was wrong with you or the baby then it's perfectly safe to wait until the baby comes on his or her own.
    Krystal.Ingalls

    Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • if at all possible i would switch providers. try to find a good midwife or OB and tell them exactly what is going on. you can of course just decline but these folks sound horrible.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • tried, failed... noone will take me past 36 weeks.
    nuklear

    Answer by nuklear at 4:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN