Drinking in the first 4 weeks..

I just had my dating ultrasound..im 6 weeks 2 days..i have known i was pregnant for 2 1/2 weeks and since i found out have been on my best behavior. Unfortunately the 4 weeks before i knew was smoking a pack a day and drinking like a fish..im a bartender so i would have 1 or 2 drinks a day (either during or after shift) and there were a few occasions i drank heavily..2 days before i found out i was out with my friend doing shots! I feel so guilty but there is no way i could have known..could i have hurt the baby..everyone ive talked to says a few drinks wouldnt do any harm...but how bout a few dozen? im not planning on drinking a thing for the rest of my pregnancy and have quit smoking..okay now im nervous rambling! just need some reassurance

k8sully

Asked by k8sully at 3:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Alcohol has a cumulative effect on the fetus. Don't have anymore.
    Anonymous

• Women have been doing this for years and years. Back in the day, they even drank knowingly while they were pregnant. If you had done real damage, I think you would have miscarried. I have to believe this same scenario happens all the time. I"m sure your baby is fine but I would mention it to your doc. Congrats!
    Anonymous

• well the first 2 weeks, you aren't really pregnant. it's the time between your period and conception. then it takes about a week for implantation, a little less usually. but then you are to almost 5 weeks pregnant when the baby actually implants and starts developing. and it sounds like you stopped before then. anyone correct me if i'm wrong about all of that but i really think you have no reason to worry at all, especially since worrying doesn't help :) congrats!
    Anonymous

• You don't always miscarry if you've 'done real damage'. Research fetal alcohol syndrome. There are serious affects of alcohol on a developing fetus, that persist through adulthood.
    That said, I agree with anon :33 that you're probably fine, especially since you've stopped drinking/smoking.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 3:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes I agree, the baby starts receiving food and nutrition from mother through placenta after about 4 weeks and after implantation (The placenta needs to be formed first). So you might not have passed any significant amount to your baby. I believe Fetal alcohol syndrome is caused if you are persistantly drinking all through your pregnancy. So relax and take care of yourself and your baby. By stopping drinking/smoking you are proving you are a responsible mom-to-be... I wish more women were like you.
    Anonymous

• Fetal alcohol exposure/fetal alcohol syndrome can happen from one night or a few nights of heavy drinking. It doesn't have to be exposure through a whole pregnancy.

But again, I don't think it applies here. I don't think that you've passed any alcohol to your baby at this point.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 5:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I partied pretty hard before finding out I was pregnant-- including a significant amount of vodka two days before finding out. My midwife told me I had nothing to worry about and to disregard everything I did before I knew, that chances of FAS were slim to none at that point.
    Anonymous