pooping while giving birth

really ?does that really happen? what if you give yourself an enema when you go into labor?...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• anon :00 not everyone does it... I have had 2 kids and didnt shit for either of them. BUT dont tell this mama to grow up, I am on my 3rd pregnancy and I am still concerned about pooping during pushing!!

OP... it is VERY common to poop while pushing. If you have anything in you, you will poop. Even though it may be embarrassing, its no big deal at all. The OB will descretely wipe it away as soon as it comes out, they wont care at all! You have to push like you are pooping to push a baby out so if their is shit there, it will come out. I was present for 2 births in which the mom didnt even realize that she pooped, 4 births in which they realized it and 5 births in which the mom didnt poop
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I pooped giving birth to two of my three children. The obstreticians are used to this and will instantly remove the feces and sterilize the area. I would guess than an enigma before birth would definitely lower the chances of this happening.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• uh huh, it happens a lot of the time. you can give yourself an enema but really i don't see the point. it's no big deal really :)
    Anonymous

• It happens, it happened to me. It's really no big deal. I think it always happens. I mean you are pushing as hard as you can. It's not what everyone is focusing on. They just get rid of it quickly and continue on with your labor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes it happens lol.
    All those muscles are connected. When you push, stuff is bound to come out.
    Its nothing to be embarrassed about, you won't even know you've done it.

If you ask the nursing staff they can give you an enema, but it doesn't always remedy the situation.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 3:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It does happen. Luckily, I had a scheduled c section, and didn't have to push, lol. I was worried about this happening too, though. Don't worry...literally almost every person I've talked to says that you most likely won't even know you did it...and if you do, you won't care. It's really common.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Happens all the time. You use the same muscles to push the baby as you do while you poop, so its very common. I did poop when I had my first.. its embarassing but its not a big deal as the nurses and doctors expect that to happen and they clean it up before you even realize what happened.
    With all the worries about the baby and while you are in the middle of labor with so much pain, that would be the last thing you worry about... it sure is embarassing in retrospect.
    Anonymous

• Everybody does it. Grow up.
    Anonymous

• It happens. My sister pooped while she was pushing. For me, I had really bad diarrhea when I was in labor after my water broke (but before I needed to push). The nurses told me that that was normal for some women because your body is trying to flush itself out before it's time to push. Some OB/Gyn's order a nurse to give you an enema when you're in labor. It's best that you don't do one yourself once in labor due to risk of infection to the baby if you get any feces in your vagina. If you're really concerned, talk to your dr. I'm sure if you request it your dr will have the hospital perform an enema once you're in labor but before you need to push.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i didnt with my first did with my 2nd
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2009