too young for potty chair?

My 14 month old is in cloth diapers, but she wears a disposable at night. She doesn't like to poop in the disposables, and when I change her in the morning she's grunting and trying to hold her poop until I put her butt in the soft cloth. I bought one of those little potty chairs that sits on top of the toilet, and was thinking that when I see her doing that instead of putting her in a cloth diaper I can just sit her on the potty chair because she really can't hold it that long after waking up so she might poop in the toilet, and start to learn about "going potty." Everyone is telling me "no she's too young" but I'm not full-on potty training, just maybe one less diaper per day and an introduction to the idea. Is this a good idea?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 3:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would get one if she is showing control of her bm's already. I bought a potty for my daughter when she was able to walk. It rarely will get used, but it is good practice.
    mayas_mom

Answer by mayas_mom at 3:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You're fine... go for it! My daughter just turned 15 months and is telling me every time she poops, sometimes before, and even sometimes after she pees, so ours is out in the living room. She's only used it once, but it never hurts to try...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Might as well try it, your going to need it soon enough anyway! My DS would only poop in the disposables, aren't kids funny!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No, she's not too young. Go for it. My 15 month old poops on the potty, misses about once a week. She pees some, but we're still working on that. No worries or rushing; it takes time, but no biggie. Very few poopy diapers.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You go for it. I was potty trained by the time I was 18 months. She seems to be a fast learner. So get her going in the potty chair! Make it fun!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 3:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2009