Have you heard of the Open Government Directive?

On Tuesday, the Obama administration acted on a promise the president made on his first day in office -- to make government agencies more transparent, participatory and collaborative via an "Open Government Directive." Transparency-in-government advocacy groups hailed the announcement.

The Open Government Directive will make an Open Government memo released in May operational by directing agencies to take specific actions during the course of a two-year timeline. The White House announced the directive during a live online chat with Chief Information Officer Vivek Kundra and Chief Technology Officer Aneesh Chopra. Kopra solicited public comment on the directive through the White House Open Government Initiative.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/08/open-government-directive_n_384018.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The day after his Inauguration, Obama declared, "Information will not be withheld just because I say so. It will be withheld because a separate authority believes my request is well grounded in the Constitution. Let me say it as simply as I can, transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."

Ellen Miller, director of the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation, said Tuesday that Obama followed through on his promise.

"The Open Government Directive issued today demonstrates the seriousness of administration's commitment to data transparency and citizen engagement," said Miller in a statement. "It is evidence that the administration recognizes that transparency is government's responsibility. At the same time, it shows the administration is matching aspirational goals with concrete policies and accountability measures."

"
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• By January 22, 2010, each agency must post online three "high-value" data sets via data.gov and assign a senior staffer to be accountable for the quality of the data. By Feb. 6, 2010, each agency is required to set up its own website and the White House will set up an "open government dashboard" that aggregates data at www.whitehouse.gov/open. And one year from today, "Each agency with a significant backlog of outstanding Freedom of Information requests shall take steps to reduce any such backlog by ten percent each year."

Full Memo is on the link
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oh, so NOW he wants to be "transparent?!" Why not during the past year?! I don't believe him--he hasn't earned my trust--and I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I wonder how much this is going to cost us.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I should clarify so I don't sound so much like a Debby Downer. I wonder if this will be the onset of forming another agency where there will have to be hundreds of people hired and paid with taxpayer dollars? I would rather it start with doing away with closed door meetings. But that's just my opinion.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• There has been no transparency, they close the door on the Republicans for everything! However, their definition of transparency with us, the Tea Party folks is, that we are transparent, they don't see us, they act like we are non-existent, the majority of all of us do NOT want their H/C bill or anything they are forcing on us but that doesn't matter, they do whatever they want...

Nothing will change, the Marxists are in control, I hope the supporters of this administration get what they wanted. And as far as another gov't bureaucracy being created, they definitely keep the funds in their circle of opportunity, while the unemployment problems, for us regular folks just keeps spiraling out of control, but wait, Oh my, it improved by .2%, whatever! 10% is still unacceptable. This just means more jobs for their corrupt buddies that they owe from the election, probably Acorn ship jumpers...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• What about this whole past year, and transparency? And DIRECTIVE? Please, if that isn't communist sounding, I don't know what is! JMO!

If all their plans come to fruition, we will most likely transform to the likes of a science fiction film, ever seen Fahrenheit 451, or who knows, maybe even, Red Dawn? Matrix? This crap is really creepy, it astounds me that people find all of these outlandish plans acceptable. (again, jmo...)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Is this why he went to the Hill this past Sun. and had a closed door meeting with the dem. leadership about the UHC bill? He didn't include the repubs at all and it was............closed door. I see how the transparency thing is working. If you are on the other side of the door, you know completely what is going on just don't tell anybody. Oh, he did let us see the sign in book at the WH. I forgot that transparency crumb. Transparency - my big ole' butt.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Sure, when hell freezes over. I don't believe a thing he says. Unless his teleprompter has a definition displayed, I am not certain he knows what transparency means.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oh Agentwanda, you said the Marxists are in control? ANd everyone else has been saying its a Socialist government? WHat should we believe? Hmmm?
    You guys.....what do you want from the President? DO you wnt him to be like his predecessor? ANd then his ratings will drop even more? ANd then he will have to create a disaster to rally the people around?
    Anonymous