Breast milk running dry

Ever since I travelled, my daughter 4mo wont take my breast anymore. Part of me thinks its because she knows there isnt enough (but I cant help but think the depression I went through caused me not to eat as much and when youre breastfeeding, you need to eat well). I know formula is completely safe and fine to give, but I cant help but feel frustrated that I cant produce nearly as much as I used to. Ive been eating senugeek pills and mothers milk tea, but havent seen results. Am I done breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dried up early as well. My doctor told me that your water intake has a lot to do with it. I'm not a big water person but he said that you have to have a lot to keep the flow going. As far as the rest, i'm not really sure.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would pump. That will help increase your milk flow. Breastmilk is a supply and demand sort of thing. The more of a demand the bigger the supply. So pumping will help keep your flow going.

I'm concerned about your baby not eating though. She won't take it at all? Did you give her a bottle or something? How is she getting fluids?
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Pumping and clary sage essential oil rubbed on the chest will help to increase your milk supply. And if she doesn't want to nurse anymore, it doesn't mean you have to give her formula. Just pump and give her that. She doesn't have to work as hard to get milk out of a bottle.
    Stacey179

Answer by Stacey179 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• You can try pumping between feedings to get your supply back up, but sometimes your body just dries up. Most of those supplements won't work for some people, so you just have to keep trying & keep yourself hydrated.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2008