Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad neighbors; what should we do?

I live next to a HUD (Section 8) house. A new neighbor with 2 small children moved in last month. She throws nightly parties and has at least 3 other people living with her (which isn't allowed), never takes her overflowing trash to the curb, leaves broken beer bottles in our yard, takes up the ENTIRE street with her company, etc. Recently she did a hit and run with property damage on my car and got away with it (the cops agreed she did it but were lazy and wouldn't charge her because she told them another person did it, even though the damage on her car was consistent with mine) Since I reported it, her and her friends find it funny to park in front of my house (I'm 7 months pregnant, btw) I have to park a half block away. I'm at my wits end with the partying and parking crap. We're reporting everything to HUD but is there anything else I can/should be doing to put an end to their ridiculous behavior? Suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

Answers (6)
  • Call the cops when there is music after 11pm. Most cities have a noise ordinance. If the cops continue to be called, the property owner will have to get involved. You can call anonymously.

    County records will show the name of the property owner. Where we live many of the homes that take section 8 are privately owned. Contact the property owner with a copy of the police report on the hit and run. Take photos of the garbage. She'll get evicted.

    Also, if garbage is a real problem, you can report her to the city and the city may fine her. The city may also contact the property owner and fine the landlord.

    Do you have a dog? Can you borrow one from a friend for a while? I lived in a shady downtown atlanta neighborhood and I have huge dogs. No one messed with me.

    What a sorry pathetic person you have to deal with. Can you tow the cars?

    Answer by ecodani at 5:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • depending on where you live, you make have "parking rights' and can have the cars towed. like PP said, if she has music or loud voices, yelling, etc. past 11 pm on a week night (some places it is 10), she can get a noise ordnance fine- and will if you call EVERY time. the garbage is in violation as long as you are within city limits, if you photograph it, and report it, it will be a fine- lets face it, the city likes it money! the thing is most of those fines go directly to the home owner, and then the sec * resident is in breech of contract and will be evicted.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • Call the police AND call code enforcement AND CPS.

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • I agree, call the cops. If it's noisy at night and they are trashing your yard, call the cops. If they block your house and you can't park there, call the cops. Find out who her landlord is and call them and tell them the problems she is causing and that you will continue to call the cops and she will continue to rack up fines for them if they don't do something about it. Oh and the Big dog idea is great, not only is it great to keep people off your property, it's great protection for you and your family should this yahoo decide to start something more with you. Good Luck!

    Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • Do you have friends/family who might have a spare vehicle for a few days? Have them park all in front of your place and hers and across the street, everywhere, so SHE has no place to park or for her visitors to park. After a week or so, when they move the cars back home, she MAY be more polite.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • call the police! I know they didn't do anything the first time but if you keep bugging them about it they will get sick of it and do the police cheif as well and let him know nothing was done about the hit and run that's bs she should have to pay for those damages..also take it before city council I would I know it sounds bitchy but she's bitchy they may contact the landlord about it and have her evicted

    Answer by chica679 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.