Alphabet

Does anyones three year old know the alphabet already?

Destany22

Asked by Destany22 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine knew it at two, but, he was the exception to the rule.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean exception to the rule?
    Destany22

Answer by Destany22 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Most won't know them that early. My son did. He was early in everything he did.
    Anonymous

• well aren't your 3year old little bundles of specialness.

mine knew and know bits and pieces - not much in the right order.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My first son knew the alphabet at 14 months. Not the song, but you could point to any upper case letter and he could tell you what letter it was. My second son knew the alphabet by 2, both upper and lower case, because my first son was working on learning the lower case letters. If you are wanting to teach your kids the alphabet, a really good video is the Leap Frog Letter Factory, and Word Factory. It teaches not only the letters, but letter sounds.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• my son knew it by 2...there are alot of cartoons that are good such as sesame street and word world. There are also learning games
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i also would sing it to my son all the time
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My DD knew the alphabet and how to count to 21 at 2 and half. She's 3 now and can add and subtract numbers 1 through 5 and she's knows the alphabet in sign language and each letter with the phonics sound it makes.

Some kids pick stuff like that up from the shows that they watch, but if you really want them to learn things, you have to spend time working with them. I'm a certified teacher that is now a SAHM, so I work with my kids teaching them reading, writing, and basic math.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Preschools expect that by age three, children know some colors, some letters, and some numbers. I have three year old twins. One of them has known his colors, numbers and letters for quite some time now but the other not. Only recently has the other been able to accurately identify some colors, numbers, and letters.
    The message here: all children learn at different rates. Don't stress if your three year old doesn't know the alphabet yet. Continue to point out letters as often as you can, sing the alphabet song, and read, read, read to him (as I'm sure you already do).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• yeah my dd was 28 mts when she learn the whole alphabet. she also knows most of the sounds
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2009