Are vaccines with perservatives dangerous for newborns?

My son is two months old and is up for his first immunization appt. I am worried about the side effects of so many vaccinations being given at once. Has anyone experienced bad side effects in their babies?

s_mason84

Asked by s_mason84 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here are some things you can read for yourself about the preservatives. You can request that you get preservative free vaccines. You can request that the doctor space them out. You can delay vaccination to a time you feel more comfortable. You can refuse. Your kid, Your choice.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/08/business/fi-vaccine8

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Scientific-Link-to-Autism-Identified-61602-1/

There is an "informed moms" group you can join. Blessing of health to your family!

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Hold off on the all vaccines until you have had the time to examine the information yourself! you can delay the vaccines and if you decide to vaccinate then you haven't lost anything. But if you vaccinate and then decide you don't want to you can't take away the toxins already in the body.
    I recommend joining Educate Before You Vaccinate here on CM. Great group of well informed ladies. Some don't vax at all, some are delayed and/or selective vaxing parents and others are full vaxing parents minus flu shots. etc.

Also, try starting with The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. He has a website too. askdrsears.com
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Honestly, there is no way to tell if your child will have a reaction or not. Some do, some don't. If you're super worried about it, I would find a pediatrician that's okay with giving a delayed (not until after 6 months) and reduced vaccination schedule. I personally don't think there is enough research to say whether the amount of vaccines given today are safe or not. Given the research that shows how harmful mercury (now filtered out of vaccines, but traces remain) and aluminum are to the brain, I think you're right to be concerned.
    Anonymous

• this subject is a huge mind f***k if ya ask me!!! i researched it for days, and if they were for the shots they would scare you into wanting them and if they were against them they would scare you away from them. there is no tellin what kind of reaction any kid is gonna have. but at the same time its kinda that way with food and medication allergies too. i guess the best thing to look for or ask your dr. is whats the worst reaction that could happen if you do and the worst if you dont........good luck!!
    lil-thumper23

Answer by lil-thumper23 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes, this is a tough one. One size fits all doses and many at once. There isn't a clear answer because no one has one yet and we're regulated. If you're not sure, get a couple and not all or just wait till your child is older.
    Anonymous

• I can't urge you strongly enough to do your own research!! Do not base your decision on opinions. Many people read the same information and have differing conclusions. Our conclusions were that the preservatives are toxic and the interaction between the vaccines can be dangerous; we also feel that teeny bodies can handle only so much intrusion at a time.
    We choose to selectively vaccinate on a delayed schedule. The first vax was after our daughter turned one. We never did more than one vax per office visist. We had the office order single dose, preservative free vaccines; we concluded that the additives to the vaccines and the interactions between the vaccines posed the greatest danger. We skipped flu, chicken pox, and a couple of others. We always read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.
    Good luck.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would just wait until you are comfortable to vaccinate. You can do a delayed or selective vaccine schedule as well. I'd recommend reading the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. He devotes one chapter to each vaccine and explains what the disease is that the vaccine aims to prevent, complications from that disease, how likely your child is to even come into contact with/contract/experience any complications from the disease. He then explains the ingredients in the vaccines, which ones are worrisome and how likely it is that your child will experience those complications.  It's also nice, because there are sometimes 2 or 3 different makers of each vaccine and he lists them (and their ingredients) so if you want you can choose the vaccine that has the least risky ingredients. He also suggests a selective/delayed schedule. We don't vaccinate our son at all, by the way. Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Look it up. I did. I read everything I could about vaccines. Also if your child is in Daycare you may want to see if the daycare has restrictions on if unvaccinated childern can attend. (Some schools and daycares esp. private ones can have their own list or restrictions). Also make sure it will not affect your child's insurance. Some policies also have restrictions on what is covered if you choose not to take part in preventive measures. Just to let you know, I chose to vaccinate. Did them on the suggested schedule as well, and no side effects or reactions other than the usual soreness. Good luck!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009