UGH! My 6yo nephew's school just let him check out "Twilight" from the library!

He's 6! How on earth is he to comprehend that? Let alone the content?

What do you think of this?

What would you do?

My SIL is taking the book back tomorrow, personally!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 5:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My biggest question is how the hell did this get into an elementary school library?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Twilight is for young adults and teenagers. Or even older adults if they like it. I think it might not be good for a 6 year old. lol It has some sensual parts in it.
    Anonymous

• Probably for the pre-teens matobe.
    Anonymous

• i'm 22 and i enjoyed it...i think its way to graphic for a 6 year old.i'd be pretty pissed.
    starryeyez23

Answer by starryeyez23 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I am absolutely outraged for them!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• at age 6 I seriously doubt they could read it anyway...I wouldn't be mad I would jsut explain that the book is a higher reading level and that they should maybe go back and try to get another book
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I'm sorry, but if he can read it, why would anyone want to stop him? I would be ecstatic if my 6 year old were able to read a book like that! What's the issue?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When my daughter was 6, she found a book called "Singularity" in the YA section of the library. She was fascinated by the cover, and wanted to check it out. I told her not yet, because it was a little old for her. (It's an awesome book and one I had read several times, it was just a little old in concept for 6.) When she was still carting it around begging for it when we ready to leave, I asked her to read the first page and tell me what it was about, and I would let her check it out. So she did, with no trouble, and I kept my part of the bargain. By time we brought them back, she had decided it "wasn't for her right now." My advice to your sister is to not make a huge stink about it and let him give it a try. He likely wants to see what all the fuss is about, and at six, he is probably not going to get very far before he decides it's boring. (I got as far as ch. 3; I hate her style, my daughter wanted me to read it.)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I'd be kinda pissed too, though I don't think he'd be able to read, let alone comprehend much of it, if any. I know our elementary library has a shelf area for just the 6th grade and the parents have to sign off on whether or not your child can check out those books. Which I think is smart, keeping the little kids away from big kid books. Anyway, I'd be wondering if maybe the librarian wasn't there that day or something, and a sub just wasn't paying attention... at least I'd hope so!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• SabrinaMBowen, the sensual content wouldn't bother you knowing your 6yr old was reading it?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009