How long did it take to get the birth certificate?

The judge granted the adoption of my daughter today. They said it could take up to six months to get her birth certificate!

I was just wondering how long it took for everyone else to get their child's birth certificate?

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Adoption

• We went straight to the clerk to order the new birth certificate after it was finalized, along with picking up 4 copies of the certified adoption decree, since adoptions are closed it's REALLY hard to get those once the adoption day is over! And the new birth certificate was sent to me within 4-5 weeks! I was also told it would take a few months, but it just showed up one day! I'm lucky that we also have his original birth certificate for him, in case he ever wants that!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My DS is 8mos and I STILL don't have a copy of his!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My mom adopted my brother 3 months before his 3rd birthday (he's biologically my second cousin) she died in April of this year when he was 4 years and 5 months and STILL didn't have the birth certificate. It was FINALLY read a couple weeks after she died.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think we had both of them pretty quickly after we finalized. I don't remember exactly how long, but I think it was within a few weeks of requesting them and sending the fee and required documentation. The social security number for DS took the longest. We live in a smaller town and I was literally the only customer in the place. I walked up to the counter and they told me to take a number...okay. There were instructions to take a number from one roll under one circumstance and the other role under another circumstance, so I took one from both. They called me over and when I went to the counter, asked which number I was. I gave them both, and told them that I thought they'd be able to figure out it was me because there was nobody else there! OMGoodness, I think they have to take classes for that.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I went to the court house a week after my daughters were born and I got them! My mom went and got mine 2 days after I was born!! I don't know where you guys live but sounds pretty crummy to me!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Iamgr8teful

• ali
    changing a birth certificate from one set of parents to new parents with the same child but possibly a different name etc etc can often take longer then the first original birth certificate .
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I am soo sorry, I didn't read that this was in Adoption! Sometimes I get too carried away with clicking and answering LOL!! Sorry!! Boy do I feel like a doof!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I got my son's birth certificate within two weeks of his adoption finalization. I was really shocked at how quickly it came. His new social card took like three weeks and I was even more shocked about that :)
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• 8 weeks in Ga...up to 8 months in La.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009