How can you tell when a cat is due to have kittens?

We have a 9 month old female that we are thinking she is pregnant. She has been let outside a few times, but I have never heard her go into heat (no screaming/clawing/etc). For the past month or so our dog won't stop sniffing her and her belly is getting bigger (hubby said that if you can feel her nipples she is pregnant...and you can start feeling them now). I just don't know when or if she is pregnant, or what I need to do before she has babies.

I'm not an animal person, so this is the first time I have had to deal with a pregnant animal....please help...lol

54313MomOf4Boys

Asked by 54313MomOf4Boys at 5:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pets

• When my sister (who is Feline-American) went into heat, she didn't scream or claw or anything; I've never heard of that as symptomatic for the female. She was very low-key, but, of course, focused on mating. The reason she wasn't fixed at the time was because she was a stray and after we took her in, she seemed pregnant...and her vet "helpfully" confirmed she was -- when she was NOT. While we thought she was gestating, she went into heat and before we could get her an appt. to be fixed, she escaped, and when she came home, she was definitely knocked up then. Yours does sound pregnant. Is there a clinic or traveling vet in your area, or maybe even your local shelter where someone might confirm it for you? And I had some really good websites on hand from when Gabby was pregnant, but I'm no longer able to get to the computer where I saved them. But you should be able to find some easily.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• the fur around her nipples will fall out,and they will darken.She may lose interest in eating and will want to sleep a lil more.Some cats will become very affectionate towards you,some will avoid you.She may try to seek out a nesting place.This is a good time to set one up for her,and let her get comfortable in it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• She should be able to handle the birthing process on her own. Now Gabby did seem confused for the first one, but she also had a lot of trouble getting the first two out. In fact, my son called the vet in a panic, and was told we could try performing a c-section on her (seriously, an at home c-section done by a kid and his grandmother?) But after she got Will and Spike out, she got a break of almost an hour, and she had the hang of it by then, and the other three quints were birthed easily. But they were also MUCH smaller. You can find sites that will help you help her get ready to queen, but sometimes no how much prep you do, she may just make her own plans.

But see if you can find out for sure. Both my girls have very prominent nipples, as do two of their brothers, and all of the quints were fixed at about 4 months, so no heat or pregnancy for them, ever. Not that it was ever an option for the boys. :O)

Good Luck
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2009