Depo shot

Im on the depo shot I get it every 3 months, for some reason since I've been on it, its so hard for me to lose weight, I'm 196 I cant, I can not go lower then that. Is this normal because I'm on birth control?

Destany22

Asked by Destany22 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Health

• When I was on depo I could not drop wieght either, It didn't matter what i did, it just would not come off. As soon as I switched to a pill, I lost 20 lbs without doing anything. Everyone reacts differently so I would encourage you to talk to your dr about different bc options
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• yes..depo will make you gain, gain , gain. I started out from 140 (after losing most baby weight) and in 4 yrs of being on depo got up to 185. It was nice to not have a period while taking depo but weight gain would be the least of my worries if i were you..since i've come off of it i've had so many problems with my horomones just trying to adjust...not to mention hip and back pain
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I actually lost weight while on depo which Ive heard is very odd. I also got pregnant while on it so I think my body just didnt accept it too well.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Before depo I was 125, 1 month after first shot I was 155, just before second shot I was 135, second shot, 1 month later 165, just before 3rd shot 145, third shot, 1 month after 175 and no more shots for me. 1 year later I was only down to 145 and then I got pregnant. The depo caused all kinds of hormonal issues for me and that is why after shot #3 I never got another one. Two children and 7 years later and I am still feeling some of the effects. I would seriously consider another option. I currently have an IUD and LOVE it. I have the Paragard which has no hormones and it is great. No worries for 10 years if I want or if we want another kid then take it out and start trying immediately.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009