Should BIPOLAR family member GET A DOG????

Do you think BI-POLAR family member should get a dog?
I have a feeling most will say no and I would have to say I agree.

So bi-polar family member on a whim, we'll call him Sam, had a dog in the past, not that many years ago. They got dog when they were too poor to really take good care of dog (big dog). Someone in the family, nobody knows, hurt dog by accident(?), dog needs surgery, instead gets 3 legs as result. Eventually, dog keeps having issues and gets put down and cost them 7k debt.

So now bi-polar Sam wants another dog for x-mas, oh for the kids. They can't afford groceries most days. Probably just to "entertain" bored bi-polar Sam. They think this is a good idea again. The bi-polar decision-making is really getting to me! Can they feed them?-Oh we'll get free food from clinic, they say. Vet bills? No way. Can they even afford meds for themselves? No.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Bi-polar Sam wouldn't be able to pay deposit on dog if they move. Bipolar Sam doesn't even have a car. Bi-polar Sam already dealt with same situation poorly in the past. I know they love pets, but mania shouldn't rule all. So annoying.
    Anonymous

• probably not the greatest idea...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Bi-Polar Sam is the type to make very poor decisions, and usually does. Things always work out, sometimes they don't as planned.
    Anonymous

• Bipolar Sam wants me to be happy they got a dog, I want to yell at them. They don't want to hear that it's a bad decision. ARGH.
    Anonymous

• I'm bi polar to, & guess what i have a dog shes 7 years old fixed & happy as ever if Sam is hurting pets it has nothing to do with being bi polar he must have something else
    Anonymous

• Sam didn't hurt dog, other family member did. Bipolar is the mania part where Sam makes these bad decisions. I could go on about the bad decision making, but I ALREADY KNOW THIS, TOO WILL BE A DISASTER.
    Anonymous

• Okay, being bi-polar does NOT determine the responsibility level or how well a person could take care of a dog, child, wife, husband... whatever. If the disease is managed, there would be no problem.

My father and brother are bi-polar and my husband has a cycling personality. We have ALWAYS had dogs!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I can personally answer this one, using my own experience, b/c I'm bipolar, too!! :)

Anyways, I can vouch for this lady's concern, w/Sam getting a dog--Granted, being bipolar, does not necessarily dictate your life, lifestyle, level of responsibility, ability of holding down a job, ability/lack of ability to care for a pet, esp. a dog, which is a much higher maintenance pet, on a day to day basis, compared to a cat, small bird, or fish, esp., etc.

However, from my experience, in some ways, the bipolar "makes" the person "who" they are--personality, actions, thoughts, decisions, etc..

Bipolar is very different from person to person--There are 2 ends to the spectrum of bipolar--manic and depressive--and anywhere in between. I have witnessed diff. people, family and friends, that have bipolar, but are completely different, for the most part. I have 2 friends that are on the very manic end, that some would call hyper
    MomToYoungerSis

Answer by MomToYoungerSis at 7:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• and highly energetic. Yet, I'm on the very depressive end, and I am very somber, can feel depressed easily for no reason, I lack energy, and I tire easily, and cannot do even half of my friends' activities, without consequences!!--This includes fun things, chores, running errands, etc., and I don't even have kids!!

(In case you're wondering, yes, my bipolar is managed well, after playing around for a long time w/my meds.. I see a therapist once a month, just to keep me on track and air issues with, and I see my psychiatrist, to check in and to get my meds., every 3 months.)

However, on some days, I can be very manic, where I have a bundle of energy, talk a lot and quickly, feel really upbeat, etc., and my friends can feel the exact opposite!!--Basically, we switch roles some days, which may sound really weird, but that's how bipolar works. Keep in mind, we can feel/act anywhere in between on this continuum, as well.
    MomToYoungerSis

Answer by MomToYoungerSis at 8:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• And there is no rhyme or reason w/bipolar--It "does" as it wants, when it wants. Yes, meds. and lifestyle choices greatly affect and help most people--But some people may not benefit as much as others. It depends on the severity and how their individual body responds or doesn't respond to the meds..

I may be manic today, then depressed tomorrow, and then somewhere in between the following day--Or I may stay in a certain spot for a few days or a period of time. But, I have found that the meds. help a lot w/the amount and severity of our mood swings, but the meds. aren't perfect--For them to be, essentially, you would take more meds. that would make you be a zombie, feeling not much, not like a normal person whatsoever, and no one wants that.

So, back to the ? at hand: Should Sam get a dog or not?? It really depends on his individual situation currently, as well as his history w/pets, and the bipolar, in general.
    MomToYoungerSis

Answer by MomToYoungerSis at 8:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009