Induction, anyone go through it? feel like sharing your experience?

ok, well, earlier i posted a question about induction VS Cesarean.... i've decided that C-section is OUT of the picture.... so, if it comes down to it, i think i'd like to weigh my options with induction... but i hear its horrible, i hear it's great.....

let me hear what you think, how did inducing better or worsen your experience of childbirth?

nuklear

Asked by nuklear at 5:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As long as you know what you are getting into, and have no desire for an an unmedicated birth, plan on having and epidural, then yes, I can see where an induction would be easy. Assuming there are no un-forseen complications. I was induced with my first daughter. I had planned on going natural, and I had an appointment on my due date. My doctor checked me and said "Everything looks good I will schedule you for an induction tomorrow at 6:00 AM', and walked out of the room. I was stunned! I followed her out and asked for clarification and explained AGAIN about how I was not up for a medicated birth and was leary about getting an epidural. Well, she was rather offended and proceeded to tell me that because of the station the babys head was in , and because I lived an hour away from the hospital it would be safer for me and my baby. And she had been induced with all three of Her children. So, I did it and it was horriable, for me.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Sorry ran out of space...Anyway, I didn't want an epidural (they scare me.) so I rejected it until I was 8 cm and I just couldn't take it. the contractions were coming to fast. Also they ruptured my membranes for me which hurt. I had to have a catheter, which I hate...lol AND to top it all off my daughter was not breathing properly when she was delivered and had to go to the NICU. Pretty much I felt like I was pushed into doing something I was not prepared for, and really wish I had learned more about it and stood up for myself. But I think if you know what to expect, you will be fine.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i got induced and it was not bad for me anyway. i did have an epidural but it did nothing but numb my left leg. i felt the entire thing. i too had a catheter, my twins were born without cpmlications vaginally and i was in labor for 3 hours or so. i think you should like above get informed and it is different for everyone whatever choice you make good luck
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It was a God's sent. With my first child I went in at 6 am and was started on the pit. When the contraction strength reached 80 or 90 on the machine I was asking for drugs. I was unfortunately only a few cm dilated so they gave me statol and I slept really well. They ended up giving me two doses and I started pushing finally at 10 pm at 11:17 pm I delivered a 9.5 lb baby girl. At 1 week late.
    My second was so much easier. I went in at 6 am and was started on pit and I progressed nicely. By the time the contractions got painful I was ready for an epi. Then I started pushing at about 1:30 pm and at 2:02 my healthy 9.3 lb girl was born 4 days late.
    So all in all the pain wasn't that bad and when it did get bad there are drugs you can get before the epi. With my first I don't think I would have lasted over an hour of pushing with out them. Congrats and good luck, I hope that helped.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My induction experience was awful and I still get very angry about how my situation was handled 4 years later. There was NO medical need whatsoever for me to be induced. My induction was scheduled on my due date. I went into labor on my own a few hours before I was to be induced. They still put me on pitocin, which was AWFUL. My labor progressed so quickly that I couldn't adjust and manage the pain. I ended up being given 2 demerol drips, 3 paracervicals, and an intrathecal for pain (I don't remember asking for anything after the first dose of demerol). I ended up having a severe reaction to the meds and stopped breathing multiple times. I barely remember my son's delivery. Afterwards, my body was so swollen that I ended up back in the hospital the day after we came home. I had to be put on meds to counteract the reaction and therefore couldn't breastfeed. Just an all around crappy, avoidable experience.
    adrians_mama

Answer by adrians_mama at 6:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If a c section is out of the picture I would tell you to research some more because alot of women end in sections because the induction did not work, had complications or the baby was in distress.

I was induced with my second and it was awful until I got the epidural. The contracts come so quick and so strong it is very hard to catch your breath in between. I had my first child natural and could not believe the difference. I was not warned that with inductions the contractions and pain are 10 times worse and more painful for most women. If I knew then what I know now and I don't mean the pain, I mean the risks I would have refused. My third was vaginal also but he was sunny side up which is an odd and yet painful position also so I wanted an epi for him too, but it didn't take and I felt everything :( ouch!!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009