Why does she do it?

i have a daughter that is a year old and lately she has been doing things she shouldnt be doing so we tell her No and she gets so mad she will try to attack me or throw her self backwards and hit her head...why do you think she is doing it and how can i get her to calm down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is asserting her independence. I try to refrain from using "No." For example, if your child stands on the table, I say "We sit on chairs at the table and we eat our food on the table. If you would like to stand on something, you can stand on this stool..."

In lieu of "NO!", I also say, It's not okay to hit Mommy. Gentle touches, be a sweetheart to Mommy.

But MOSTLY, she's doing it because SHE'S A GIRL!!!!!! ArghhhhhhhHHHhhHHHHhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahah
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It's normal behaviour. Ignoring tantrums is the best way to extinguish them. Save time out for serious offenses like hitting/biting. She's young enough to do a "holding" time out. You say to her "no biting" then hold her in your lap facing away from you for one minute then repeat, "no biting", give her a kiss and move on. Distraction is still your biggest tool at this age. If you can see she's about to do something she shoulding, simply redirect her.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• She is just trying to call the shots! I ignore tantrums and I even put him in his crib if a tantrum goes on for to long. I know he is safe and can't trash into anything in there. I also try not to use "no". I will tell him that it's no okay to bite the dog, it's not nice to hit me, or lets not eat the cat food because it's for the cats and they will be hungry if we eat it. lol
    as for her hitting you just tell her not to "attack" you and hold her arms or ignore it.

best of luck! now the fun begins!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 11:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• she upset and thats her way of getting attenetion and also making you feel bad because shes mad and think you'll give her her way. my advice is firmly tell her that thats a no no and if contiues to throw a fit then i would sit her down by herself on time out. if shes two let her sit there to think about it for two mins, time out should for the age amount. and that will let her know that ur serious and also to calm down
    tamieka18

Answer by tamieka18 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009