why am i so scared that i may of pass stuttering to my dd?

i will feel like a bad mom if she stutter

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stuttering is not inherited....and if your child is spending time with other kids and relatives,they will hear all kinds of different voices and she won't copy you. Don't worry. Maybe a speech therapist could help you. So many people have learned to stop stuttering with help. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• yes it is inherited i have been to a speech therapist for 17yrs
    Anonymous

• It can be inherited. My brother used to stutter terribly, and I've studied it extensively. However, with speech therapy, it can clear up well before the adolescent years. Don't worry, OP. She most likely won't and if she does, it is NOT your fault. You wouldn't have done it intentionally, so it does not make you a bad mom.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Even if she did would it be a horrible thing? I know that is easy for me to say but there are far worse things you could pass on. Besides that you don't exactly control your genes. In fact being a stutterer could make you a better parent for a child who has any type of speach issues. You understand how it is to have a problem, you will have more empathy for your child.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009