Is there any test they can do on an infant to see if they have autism??

I am a mother of 4 kids ages 5, 5, 3, and 11m! I am worried my younger sons has autism because of his developmental delays since birth! He is already going to PT OT and TOT for torticollis! He had vision problems till he was 3 m( basically couldnt see so it seemed) and then slow to sit crawl and now its walking and standing! He is so far behind my other kids and what there development was I also had prenatal difficulties! I cant get his therapist to refer him to get tested they want listen but I can feel there is something wrong just something that off! He has stopped talking he doesnt say da-da or ma-ma or hey there anymore he just yells now they are going to do a hearing test and put in tubes! Does anyone know where I can find help or someone I can talk to????

KLACsmom

Asked by KLACsmom at 6:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son has a speech delay, and Autism was something my dr wanted to rule out. He told me about a place in my area that will do a free screening. My suggestion is to google free autism screening in your area, the one near me doesn't need a dr's refferal either....
    imeddiesmommy

Answer by imeddiesmommy at 6:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I wanted to add something, always trust your mother's instinct! There's a reason we have it ;)
    imeddiesmommy

Answer by imeddiesmommy at 6:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I thought my dd had autism as well when she was younger. She had many different delays which she needed to have OT, PT, and speech. She wouldn't make eye contact and she HATED being held. It turns out she was having a lot of sensory problems, and also has what is called Peri Ventricular Leukomalacia. Which is with her brain, she also had a lot of medical problems which weren't all diagnosed at once. If you feel that their is something going on I would be persistent at trying to find out what the problem is!! I was a young mom and most doctors wouldn't listen to me! Do a lot of research, be a thorn in your doctor's ass until you get to the bottom of this! Best of luck to you and your family!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Are you talking about the 11 month old?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• yes its the 11 month old! I have been talking to my friends who are autistic therapist and they said they can see some autistic behaviors but just keep an eye on him! You know how that mother instinct says there is just a lil something different but you cant put your finger on it?
    KLACsmom

Answer by KLACsmom at 3:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Leave the baby alone.

Give him time. Thats all most kids need. They don't need you trying to "diagnose" them. Just love him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2009