Home alone?

Is anyone nervous about hubbys working late. I'm so nervous being home with my daughter alone could brake in.

Destany22

Asked by Destany22 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• My Hubby is 800 miles from home and will be gone until Christmas eve.. I'm home with our 3 boys and I am for 4-6 weeks at a time. Just lock your doors/windows put on a good movie or cartoons, make cookies, play a game, color.. Something to keep your mind occupied. You will be fine. Maybe call a friend/family member to come over and hang out.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Seriously? Time to move to a better neighborhood or put stronger locks on the doors then. I am NEVER afraid of being home alone.
    Anonymous

• My husband travels a lot. I don't really think about it any more. I do always make sure I have the phone right next to me when I go to sleep. In the beginning I used to dial 911 before I went to sleep and hang up before it rang. That way I only would have to hit redial if something happened. But that was a long time ago.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I do live in safe neighborhood I live West Warwick, Rhode Island, but there's brake ins all over the state it doesnt matter anymore with this crazy world... You can continue not to be afraid but I'll always be aware of my surroundings.
    Destany22

Answer by Destany22 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• -shurgs- I would be lonely. But scared? No
    Anonymous

• Uh what does shurgs mean and what does the rest of the comment mean?
    Destany22

Answer by Destany22 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think she meant 'shrugs' which means she is shrugging at the question
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• In response to your question.. being home alone all day was part of the reason I decided to get a dog. I feel much more at ease having him around and knowing that if anyone tried to mess with me or my daughter he would defend us. We also got Brinks deadbolts put on all the doors and the windows are always closed and locked when its dark outside. This helps me to feel secure, as well as keeping lights and the tv on in the house. Burglars are much less likely to attempt to break into a house that is obviously occupied; most want to be as secretive as possible so as not to get caught. Make your home as safe as possible, that's really all you can do. Call a friend or have someone come over if you are really that uncomfortable being alone.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Get a dog. It helps ALOT to feel more comfortable and feel safe. And I used to live WAAAAY out in the middle of nowhere having Daisy helped.
    Basically I (and from the responses) most of us are used to it.... kristal2146 has great advice.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I have two dogs however even before them it and the family it was just me and a cat and I was never nervous about things like that. And I didn't always live in the best neighborhoods either.

Just be aware of what's going on around you when you are coming and going; ie: no one strange watching you; no cars following you home etc...and keep your doors locked; if you have a sliding glass door and groundfloor windows see about having pin-bolts installed they're better than the original lock on them...it's good to be aware but becareful you don't let it slip all the way into paranoia.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2009