How do I make my house smell good and cleaning tips?

Ok, I'm not the best housekeeper in the world, but my house is fairly clean. Anyway... we live in an old house which came with a bad smell when we got it. That smell has since left, but it still smells a little stale. It is not well sealed up and we get mice in the house and it makes me feel dirty like they crawl all over our stuff and pee on it. We have taken measure to get rid of them, but I just dont know how to feel clean in this house and like it's smelling good. What are some good cleaners, techniques to make my house smell good and feel cleaner. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• DH and I are living in an older home too, but we're due to get new flooring just after the first of the year. As long as your carpets aren't white, use a 50/50 mix of water and the brown-colored mouthwash. I mix it in a spray bottle, and lightly squirt my floors after vaccuuming, just so they're a little damp. I make sure to vaccuum every day, and squirt every day too, because the chemicals in the mouthwash kill 99.9% of germs! :D I also wet the floor in the kitchen with it and use a clean swiffer pad to "mop" it up.

I use this solution on just about everything, minus my laundry.

You can clean walls, counters, cabinets, window sills, baseboards, doorframes, blinds, etc with a 50/50% water and vinegar solution. This water/vinegar solution is an odor-neutralizer, and does not smell once it has dried.

I use a washcloth with dish-soap to clean doorknobs, light fixtures, the light switch plates, anything you touch on a
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You need to get rid of the mice and find out where they are coming in. Call a pro. Also, try vinegar, it's good for getting rid of smells or boil water with cinnamon in it.
    Anonymous

• daily basis.

Once I clean the tub/shower with shower cleaner, I'll rinse, spritz some bleach in there, rinse, and I have found that dish soap or laundry soap put the shine on the shower walls without the water spots.

As for smelling good, once the dust and grime have been scraped away, the possibilities of actually being able to smell an air-freshener duplicate! I like to use the Febreze dual scent plug ins. I have two in my entire house, and it's a pleasant greeting to coming home!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• sometimes when i scrub my floos with bleach, they smell smells like a clorine pool, and for some reason it makes me feel like the house is acceptable and clean. so some bleach and alot of water. (not carpets)

if you have carpets, you could vacuum them and then add into a spray bottle some fabric sofener and water and spritz some on them. (this i have not tried but fabric sofeners do wonders, i have added laundry detergent and fabric softeners to my shampooers)

sometimes if your couch has coverings on them or maybe put a blanket draped over the couch, you could spray your favorite perfume on the blankets or couch coverings

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• For starters, baking soda neutralizes odors. You can sprinkle it on carpet, put some is a spray bottle with water to spritz the air, and use it to clean. Vinegar is the cheapest and one of the best cleaners on the planet. It degreases and deodorizes. The smells in your house are trapped in all the fibers, such as your furniture, drapes, carpet, etc. Once you get those cleaned and deodorized you should be on your way. My favorite scent in the house is Cinnamon Spice. Put a little saucepan on the stove, add some water, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice. Just let it simmer and you will love the way your smells!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Get rid of the mice. Open the windows and air out the house once a week to make the house smell good.

Answer by louise2 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Once the house is clean...candles, candles, candles. Especially this time of year, I love the warm, cozy scents and have candles lit all day long. Yankee and Woodwick candles are especially good.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009