Skin test

Hey there.... I was wondering if anyone knew how they do skin tests. My 3 and a half year old son needs to get one done to test if he is allergic to our two kittens. They said it is a 2 hour appointment. Not sure what they are going to do. Anyone have to have this done before? They also gave me a list that i need to follow befor we go. hmm idk what to expect. Thanks in advance.

FcknReady2Party

Asked by FcknReady2Party at 6:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son had to have one a few months ago..he just turned 5..it wont hurt at all..it looks like it would but they said it just feels like a little tiny poke, my son didnt even feel it until after they did it he was allergic to almost everything they tested for and he had to lay for 15 mins and he was crying because he was itching so bad (he said his bones were itching) I felt so sorry for him but i was so happy to find out the cause of his allergies
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes. My daughter's allergic to peanuts. I had to have her tested at 13 months. It wasn't as big of an ordeal as I was prepared for... I think they said 2 hours for me, the skin test itself only takes 15 minutes (the prick, the wait). I'd say budget 2 hours if that's what they say, but I doubt it would last that long. Make sure he's in clothes you can keep off his back for the 15 minutes. My 13 month old just nursed and sat with me, so it was easy; you may just want to take off the shirt... It didn't seem to irritate her -- the prick hurt, I guess, but then she forgot about it. Be sure you don't give any allergy meds in the days before, but I'm sure the letter said that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2009