petfinder.com??

Has anyone gotton a puppy or a dog through petfinder? I have looked on it and found so many puppies that would be good for us but there is none closer than 150 miles away. How do you go about bringing a pup home and what would it cost us? Any thoughts would be helpful. We would realy like to have a puppy home for Christmas for our son. Thanks so much in advance.

lilred420

Asked by lilred420 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pets

• We got a puppy off of there back in 2004. We were in SC, the breeder and puppy was in WI. The puppy was shipped to us, via air, and we just picked him up at the airport.
    We paid $500 for the dog and then $250 for shipping.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 7:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• PF has message boards (the link is at the top of their page). Go to the Transport section. They frequently do car/plane transport to different areas. Someone there should be able to help you. Also the Rescue and Urgent folders are great places to see the pets in need most. It's virtually all rescuers in those forums (but not all) and I'm sure they'd help you any way they could. They're good ppl over there. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 7:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If someone on Petfinder is advertising as a breeder, it needs to be reported. Breeders are not allowed to advertise on the site. Its rescue only and most likely that puppy came from a puppy mill.

The transport section is actually for talking about filling legs of transports for dogs that have been rescued from mills or neglect/abuse/owner surrender situations. Unless a potential adopter is willing to travel some distances to meet transporters, they don't often transport for individuals.

Most, if not all, rescues and shelters will not adopt a dog or pup over the holidays. It avoids the "return dog or puppy after the novelty has worn off' syndrome. Or the " didn't know it was going to be this hard to have a dog dump it outside its a dog it will be fine" illness. They want to avoid both those afflictions.

Also, several rescues will not adopt to families with young kids. This avoids the "my son/daughter was (con't)
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• was poking the dog in the eye and I didn't do anything to stop and the dog bit and we can't trust it anymore dump it at a shelter"syndrome.

I am not saying the OP is like this, but several people who get dogs/pups for special occasions are.

Do your research OP. Wrap up some dog stuff like a leash and collar with some toys and bowls for your son to open at Christmas. Then, after the holidays, when things settle down, take your son to a shelter, or start to inquire about rescues.

If your son is very young, it is better to wait to get a dog. It takes time, energy, patience and MONEY to keep a dog. If you have none or very little of those things, a dog is not the pet for you.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was gonna ask about that. I thought for sure Petfinder.com was strictly for adoption dogs not breeders.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Only look around your zip code. Also, however far you would like to drive. I got a great dog through petfinder. I do know most of the rescue groups involved want you only so far away. You may have to be approved through application. It's a great sight. It even tells you if a dog is housebroken. Ours was.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Maybe you could look at you local spca shelter. When you adopt a dog from them it has already been spayed and had its shots.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2009