? about braces

I've had braces on for 6 months now and just got the rubber bands put on,but I was wondering am I going to have to wear these for the rest of the two years? Also how long will my mouth hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Health

• It's been a while since i had mine so things may have changed, but typcially I would have to wear the rubber bands for the frist 2 weeks after having them adjusted and then two weeks without and then another adjustment. My teeth were really bad and they thought I would need headgear to fix them, but I didn't in the end. The pain usually subsided after about a week and then it was just a dull ache. They are moving your teeth though so it is bound to be painful. That is the price we pay for beauty:)
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Just want to mention two things I learned when my daughter got her braces: her orthodontist said that too little calcium during pregnancy is the main cause of needing braces. When the baby's developing body is not receiving enough calcium for all its needs, it will give the chin & lower jaw short shrift in favor of other more essential bone development.

So, when we're pregnant, especially in the second half of pregnancy, it's important to make sure we are ABSORBING enough calcium (you can swallow plenty and still not be absorbing it). Weleda Pharmacy's Calciodoron is a remedy which improves our absorption of the calcium we eat.

Second; be extra kind to yourself in the days after an adjustment, when your teeth or head hurt from the orthodontist tightening things. The strain making your teeth hurt is a strain for the whole body, and it's easy to succumb to a cold or flu at that time.

:-)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009