When does your milk start to come in?

For the last two wks my breast have been sore and my nipples itch. I've had this clear stuff come out then it turned to a yellow color now its white. I still have 5 to 6 wks left

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah that happened to me too but my milk didn't really come in til 3 days pp. You'll know when your milk comes in and so will your DH.
    Anonymous

• Some leak colustrum during pregnancy, but milk doesn't come in until a few days after you give birth
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• About 30 to 40 hours after you deliver the placenta, your hormone level will have adjusted and transitional milk production starts. You will notice it (if you are a first-time mum) at about three to four days after your baby is born. With a second or subsequent baby, you may notice it a little earlier, at around two to three days.

Remember that these are averages, and that for some mums it comes earlier or later than this. Don't forget that the more often you feed your baby in the first 48 to 72 hours, the quicker your milk will come in.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• That's colostrum, some women leak it during pregnancy and others won't see a drop until birth.

Your mature milk will come in within days of birth. Your body will produce hormones at birth to cause the milk to change within the next days.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Your milk won't come in until after you give birth. For the first few days you'll have colostrum, then it will turn to milk. I had my milk in within 3 days, and the nurses acted as though that was fairly early.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• your body doesn't know to produce milk until after the placenta is out. for some women, their milk comes in that day, some takes up to 7 days. but anything before birth is just colostrum.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• oh, and my milk came in about 60 hours. so, about 2 1/2 days.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2009