is it possible for pagans to understand there is a pagan holiday AND a Christian holiday?

or is that too much to ask?

because I have seen a NUMBER of Christians acknowledge there is a pagan celebration but celebrate the Birth of Christ which IS NOT pagan AND have admitted they do not view December 25 as the REAL day Jesus is born.

or is it too much to ask pagans to tolerate and understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• is it possible for everyone to just shut up and celebrate whatever they want, when they want?

must we do this every holiday season??? all i want for 'christmas' is some peace and discussion on CM, not the 'whining' and bickering that most seem to live on. one group says the other group does this or that...then, vice versa. i'm beginning to think mr. grinch had the best idea of all!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Man, who pissed in your eggnog?
    Anonymous

• Mostly I've seen "Christian" minority sects dissing Christmas way more than pagans do. I guess you have to crap all over what other people believe in order to make your sect seem better than everyone else.
    Anonymous

• "You" in general, not the OP.
    Anonymous

• apparently it is, since all is the xmas symbols that you hold dear, are of pagan origins- including the day it self! so no- it is kind of hard to accept that christianity have overrun an otherwise 'pagan' holiday, and called it the birthday of the christ child. i can't accept that- and i'm an Atheist.

when are you going to be tolerant of MY beliefs, and stop ramming christianity down my throat?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• What you are saying is you want the Pagans to accept that fact that the very people that believe they are demonic and evil have taken the traditions and celebrations they hold so dear and made them their own... Sure, I see that happening!

I have accepted that Christmas is the Christian version of a number of Pagan Celebrations. Honestly it doesn't bug me. What does bother me is that all year the Pagans are told we are going to hell or we should not be allowed to have our beliefs (or some form of those things) and then come the Holidays these same good Christians use Pagan traditions to celebrate the birth of "their" god... To me what is offensive is the idea that you aren't good enough unless you are Christian, but that it's okay for Christians to use Pagan traditions at will without breaking any rules...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Most pagans arent rude about christmas, That is the christians holiday to enjoy like yule is ours. For the record us pagans arent stupid :) I tolerate walking into stores having merry christmas said to me all day long, I just say happy yule back. Its not a complicated matter. We celebrate both traditions in our house, my husband is christian and i am a pagan!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• wow- look at all my pytos!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

Even Satan believes in God.
    Anonymous

• I am a Christian.....

We don't participate in Christmas - it was developed from Pagan rituals....... it was just renamed to make Christians feel like they weren't participating in a Pagan rituals. Even the Bible says not to put up a tree. Yet every Christian wants to make it ok. Easter is the same way. Pagan rituals "tweaked" to look like Christian. Read the true reality of how and why and when these holidays were formed.

Now having said all of that.... I am NOT anti-Christmas. I know the intent of Christians there fore I will not tell anyone that they shouldn't do it. I just know for us - it is not an option.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 7:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009