my son has this weird raspy, growling sound when he breathes .. what is it?

idk what it is my aunt said its something that has to go away on it own .. but i dont trust that ... but the sound .. sounds like some fluid in his lungs .. hes doesnt have a temp or anything .. he acts fine ..and it only happens when he sits up.. but that sounds reallly concerns me .. hes had it for about 4 days now .. and im not sure what to do... hes 2 months old .. what do u think it is?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like croup! If the wheezy, growling sound happens again take him outside for 10 min and then run the shower as hot as it will go for 20 min. Unfortanately it has to run its course for up to 2 weeks!!! If that doesn't help then you need to call doc. My niece got diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with same symptoms. Good luck!!!! Sorry lil man isn't feeling too good!!! Best wishes
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• has he had a runny nose or a cough? my son has had croup multiple times, and it can sound like rattling in the lungs... croup is just immflamation of the wind pipe, and the gurgling comes from mucous that gets caught up in the wind pipe. The doc has told me to let baby breathe cold air for a few minutes, which can help.. otherwise, a steroid is usually prescribed.
    if your baby hasn't been sick though, it could be an asthma type thing.... but most likely, it's nothing.

has the gurgling been constant?
    it's always best to trust your intuition though. if you're worried, take him iin.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 7:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• yup he has all those symptoms .. thanks for the help! :) but its really cold outside ... its snowing here ... will it still be ok? what is croup? is it bad for him? and how is it caused ? anyone know ? once again thanks for the advise!
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My daughter does that and she has Asthma. I would go and get him checked out to find out whats causing this.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• no runny nose tho ! he has had a little cough here and there tho
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009