my 13 mont old son isnt walking yet? he stands already but wont move. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Absolutely! Some kids walk before their first birthday and others not until much later. As long as the pediatrician isn't concerned, just wait it out. Give him plenty of opportunities to try. Push toys are great too because they offer support. He'll walk when he's ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It's totally normal. As long as he's walking by 18 months it not considered delayed. My daughter started walking at 18 months and wasn't even crawling at 13 months so imagine my concern! If he can stand he's most likely capable of taking steps, just not up to giving it a shot yet.
    laura_lu5

Answer by laura_lu5 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My son just started walking -- he turned 15 months on the 2nd. They'll do it in their own time! Enjoy the crawling while you can because the walking is so scary!! =)
    Anonymous

• My son is 12 1/2 months and not walking yet. he will walk around the furniture and holding onto my fingers, but thats bout it. His doctor told me its normal and that he will when he is ready.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• this is very normal. so kids develop normal everyday things a little slower but he will come around. try making him take steps everyday if only for ten mins a day just try to give him a head start until he can do it on his own. he'll get there mom. good luck
    tamieka18

Answer by tamieka18 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son is 15mo and is doing the same. I know he can.. he'll take a couple steps by himself and is GREAT at holding a hand and walking. I think my son is just overly cautious.. yours might be too! Everytime he stands by himself, praise him and encourage him to take a step toward you.. even if he holds your hands! He may still be trying to figure out the balance thing.. "Ok I can stand ok, but if I move, I might fall over"
    Something a friend did for her daughter was to stand her in a corner (facing away from the corner) that way she could balance on both sides. She then got a bit braver and would take a step and still be able to reach out if she needed help balancing. Don't worry, they all do things on their own time :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my son is about 14 months...and he just started walking about 2 weeks ago.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Three out of four of my children didn't start walking until they were 13 months. My first I coaxed her with cookies, my second I bought her a toddler basket ball hoop and ball for her first birthday, showed her that she had to stand to throw it. I bought a walker for my third determined she'd walk sooner and I believe she did start walking a month earlier than her two older sisters. By the time I had my fourth I was happy he wasn't all over the place, lol, but he was not to be held back and once he felt confident he was running. Trust me, children move at their own pace and as long as he's growing healthy and doctors aren't concerned just enjoy the wobbly feet and edging he's doing, because soon he'll be off :)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my little one didnt start walking until she was 15 months..and as soon as she learned, she was RUNNING a week later. it'll happen, when your child is ready!
    aka_mommy

Answer by aka_mommy at 3:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Plenty of 13 month olds cannot walk yet. Both my husband and I were late walkers, so we were not surprised when our son still wasn't walking at 15 months. Some kids just take a little longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009