Anyone's child ever had to take Albuterol?

Is it supposed to CURE or just aid in breathing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes my daughter does. She's 12 months old and has Asthma. It helps but it didn't cure her she still takes it. It just aides in breathing
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• there is no cure for asthma only control albuterol is meant to open the airways to make breathing easier while having an attack my 10 year old daughter has been taking it for 10 years in all forms and it literally has been a life saver. my best advice for you is to follow the doctors instructions explicity and if yoru child is still having trouble then tell the doc immediately!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It's a rescue med meant to give instant (ok, almost instant) relief of an asthma attack. There's no cure per se, but there are inhaled steroids like Flovent that will help build up their lung strength.
    Anonymous

• I'm not questioning its use for asthma, just a cough, my son's doc prescribed it for my son's cough but his cough isn't that bad that he needs this and he's only 6 months old..
    Anonymous

• The doctor may have detected some chest congestion that is leading to the cough. I am just getting over this. I thought my cough was because of my throat. I didn't even realize that my chest was tight, but the albuterol helped open up my airways and I am breathing better.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Is it inhaler, nebulizer, or liquid form? What it does is helps loosen the muscles in the esophagus/chest, making it easier to breathe which makes them cough less. All 4 of my kids have had to be on the oral liquid for bad coughs, one when she had pneumonia. It doesn't help with congestion or anything really, it just helps open the airways & relax them.
    Anonymous

• When a child has chest congestion, it is most often because their airway is inflamed. Albuterol helps open the airway so that the mucous can work its way back up. During a treatment, your son will probably begin to cough harder which will be a good sign that the albuterol is doing its job! As he coughs, he may throw up the mucous which is also good because it means he got it out!

Do you trust your pediatrician? Assuming you do, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to breathing and even if you dont think your son is bad enough today, respiratory infections can become very severe very quickly so you will probably be smarter to get a jump start on it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• That's why doctors listen to a patient's chest and back. There are sounds that can't be heard without a stethoscope that determine the course of treatment. you can't judge a cough based on what it sound slike externally.
    Anonymous

• i have asthma so i have used it manytimes, its supposed to help clear the lungs. but its not a cure.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my son is 8 months old and he has a nebulizer for his allergies and respiratory problems. we use the abuterol in his nebie to help open up his chest so he can breathe
    turbocutie

Answer by turbocutie at 4:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2009