Ultrasound said Girl! Heartbeat says boy. Which is more likely?

I had a 20 week ultrasound done by my doctor. He told me it was a girl...about a 95% chance. He seemed pretty confident.

However, the last few times I've been in (I'm 30 weeks now), he has said the heartbeat sounds like a boy!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? What was the outcome?

ClaireW

Asked by ClaireW at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go by the ultrasound. There is little proof that the heartbeat is a telltale sign. Everyone said that based on the heartbeat that my son would be a girl...and he's very much a boy.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You can't go by the heart beat. If the ultrasound said girl then more then likely its a girl. I knwo one of my daughters had a boys heartbeat and turned out to be a girl. Its just a myth.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Ultrasound is as accurate as you can get with out a blood test. I was under the impression that the heartbeat stuff was just a myth, weird that you Dr. said that.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 8:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My mom had twins (I am one of them) they told her she was going to have a girl and a boy because of the hearbeat. Guess what we both came out girls! lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• one of my girlfriends was told she was going to have a girl...(according to the ultrasound) baby was a boy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would say go by the ultrasound. A picture speaks a thousand words.
    Anonymous

• The heartbeat is not an accurate gender predictor. My first DD's hearbeat was usually in the 150's. My DS's was in the 140's and my second DD's was in the 130's.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• heartbeat doesn't mean anything....all three of my girls had different HBs - if you went by that then my 2nd should be a boy

95% is pretty accurate for an u/s.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• go with the ultrasound
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I'd say an ultrasound is more likely; pictures often don't lie but it's purely speculation and opinion to base such theory as gender identification off of a heartbeat.

As for myself, I didn't care about ultrasounds and had about three or more per child, I was happy if the baby came out healthy so didn't have them check gender but the last ultrasound I had the tech did slip that it was a boy when I had told him I had three girls already. Didn't matter I had those tubal papers signed early in the pregnancy and just wanted him to come out healthy.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2009