Wow! Women Really Do that?!

I had seen people asking around about women who don't work and still send their kids to daycare but I never thought much about it until the other day when I was talking to a woman who is my husband’s co-workers wife. She actually sends her kids to daycare and doesn’t work! Told me it cost nearly $1000 a month and then proceeded to tell me it was a great decision and she sits around and does nothing all day. Wow. I didn’t know what to say, that seems so, shall we say lazy? I just don't get it, I worked went to college and stayed home with my daughter and still had time to clean the house and get groceries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• CONTD'
    I'm not trying to be judgmental; I KNOW staying home with children is a lot of work, but really?! I'm all for kids going maybe for a few hours to Preschool to learn and socialize, but all day! I'm just so shocked by this. Am I being crazy here or is it just off-the-wall to do this?!

Posting anon b/c she has a CM account
    Anonymous

• yeah that is weird. I stay at home for a reason- to raise my kids because I dont want others doing it.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I have neighbor who has six kids and is a SAHM. She has a nanny and a housekeeper. She spends her days working out and shopping.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I agree with you, it is certaintly different from my own opinion in that a other should want to spend time with her children, not hurry them away so that she doesn't have to deal with them. At least that is the impression i would get from that situation. I do not work currently, but I love my son and enjoy our time together. We may put him in daycare eventually so that i may get out of the house a bit a work at least part time during the week. We all understand needing time away from the baby, or from the kids for a bit, but if all i'm gonna do is sit around in the house, I see no need for daycare, especially not at that cost
    buterfly_001

Answer by buterfly_001 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Wow. Thats almost as bad as my aunt who has a disabled kid and doesnt let him out of the house, is ashamed of him, and doesnt do shit at home, yet tells everyone how bad her life when she gets like 5 checks a month for doing nothing from the government. :) AKA. Good for nothing.
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i agree its ridiculous, im a SAHM and the day that my daughter goes to daycare is gonna be because i either went back to school or im at work....what a waste of money, not to mention the time they spend w/o her
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't see what's the point in having children if you're not going to work but still send your child(ren) to someone else to take care of them. That's just neglectful.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• whoa hold up a sec!, NOT ALL WOMAN who stay at home and send there kid or kids to day care are lazy, some woman are layed off, and looking for work, its really really hard to get work, really hard. Looking everyday. some woman work from home, some woman are able to get things done, daycare is'nt as long as school, and alot of DC let you get your child whenever you want. They learn alot from, math,reading,art,social skills,....What about all the woman who help shaped our lives who stayed at home house wives of the 60's including most women's, mothers? . Its not neglectful.  not every woman is sitting on her ace because little johnny is at daycare. who are you to Judge anyway, what makes you perfect?

Anonymous

• I never understood sending them full time. My kids went part time. My oldest for social interaction and the twins because they have special needs and it was part of therapy. With the twins I went with them, with my oldest I went one day a week to help the teacher.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If they can afford it it's fine.

To me it's no different than a childless Dr's wife sitting at home painting her nails all day (for an example not to say all Dr's wives).

I perfer to be the main source of input with my children while they are at this young malleable stage; however that's an individual choice. One I can't make for another woman; perhaps for her if she's home with them all day she does nothing but yell and become resentful; I'd rather them go to daycare and come home to a happy mom who wants to see them and hear about their day; etc...

Not every woman(or man) derives the same sense of accomplishment from work that others do. It's hard to comprehend when your personality comes at it from a different place; but it is possible for each of us to live a "successful life" in different ways.
    Anonymous