Have you ever given birth at a hospital where you weren't guranteed to get an epideral?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 9:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well at no hospital are you guaranteed the epi... it depends on when you get admitted, how many patients there are that the anesthesiologist has to see, how far into labor you are, etc.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 9:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• OMG! NO! I WLD DIE
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• lol MLM I think i'm gonna!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• it depends on the availability of the anesthesiologists. I 'prebooked' mine. at least for #2 and #3 told the dr's that I wanted it before they broke my water, I did have to wait a bit longer than normal with #2 but I did get it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't care, I had my first two naturally and will have this one naturally.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would love that hospital! I don't want epidurals and they are always trying to push the damn things on me!
    Anonymous

• Serious is right - while most likely you can get one, there are always out-of-your-control conditions that can't give you a 100% guarantee.

At the same hospital I got mine nice and early, my friend couldn't get one at all because her labor was so ridiculously fast, there just wasn't time for it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I was never guaranteed one. Only one anesthesiologist, and if there were any surgeries or anything those had top priority. With my 3rd child I dilated so quickly there was no chance to ask for one, much less get one (in labor for 6 hours at home, dilated to 6 upon arrival at hospital, and baby was born less than an hour later). But yeah, there's no guarantee anywhere that you'll get one.
    Anonymous

• Never heard of a hospital that WOULD guarantee an epidural. It's always case by case.

Personally I wish I had NOT had one.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would love that. I'm delivering at home just because I had my DD naturally and LOVED It and want to be guaranteed the same experience this time. They're always trying to force them on you in the hospital.
    And...I dont think one is ever guaranteed no matter what hospital you're in.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2009